Shared Ownership first time buyer fees?

Options
Hello guys

Looking to buy a 25 % share of a £380,000 house with a £5000 deposit.

I'm just looking for someone to help with a breakdown of average initial costs we will incur on top of the £5000. I think i've read we should expect to pay about £2000 in fees but if that's correct can someone help with a rough breakdown?

Thanks

Comments

• A lot of solicitors for a shared ownership purchase base the fees on the full value rather than the share. Just means the costs are a bit higher. They also charge a bit more for it being a leasehold and using a mortgage so probably around £1700 ish I'd expect. Maybe cheaper if you shop around, maybe a bit more. Depends where you are in the country.

You might want a survey so another £500+ for that

Mortgage fees - depends on if you are paying a broker, or the lender has fees etc
  • scholesfan88
    Options
    We are currently buying a new build shared ownership property worth £210k.

Our costs so far:

Legal Fees: £1250
    Mortgage Lenders legal fee: £120
    Valuation fee: £225
    Mortgage application fee: £130
    Broker fee: Free as went with Habito

In addition we need to pay 2 x months rent upon completion and the annual estate maintenance fee.

Worth noting that some lenders will specify that you have to use a solicitor on their approved panel when buying shared ownership, like ours did. Shop around as the quotes vary wildly.

We went with abit of a niche lender and they seem to charge a fee for everything, you may get a free valuation etc...
  • Those legals seem very good - I get staff discount and am not paying much less than that! Without discount I struggled to find anything remotely competitive.

I think your lender is the same as (likely) mine too :)

I think around the £2k mark is a good ballpark figure - if you get a free val from a more mainstream lender (and no app fee!!) then bonus!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure