Lulabelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    One last point, the deciding factor for my DH was knowing that once the millstone has gone he will have money to buy a car. By that I mean one he chooses, not because the seats fold flat, the boots the right height, easy to park etc, but one he wants because it fits his agenda not that of the family.

I guess it is whatever works to provide that extra motivation
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The eggnog latte was lovely thanks Tilly, praline mocha next.....

Well DH did the food shop today and despite us thinking that we had out together a pretty good meal plan for the following week or so, it still cost £120. This was £40 at Ald@ and a further £80 at the red and blue place. It apparently included new socks and pants for ds1 and a few cleaning products etc, s maybe I just need to accept that this is the going rate.....

The real test will be avoiding the daily trips to the orange shop down the road.....

A day in London for work today, fab day, very productive and importantly, my only indulgence was the eggnog latte. I popped in one shop in between meetings but avoided temptation.

I'm doing the whole "do I need this item, and if so "do I need it right now" thing at the moment, and I have to be honest I find it's working rather well. The thought that I can go back later and buy it is a good one as I then don't bother to go back to buy it. Working in the impulse buying is definitely a great thing....

Anyways, time for sleep now, my legs ache from all the walking.
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Just incase, I'd like to point out that I type many of my posts using an iPad. For those of you that don't use an iPad, I'd like to explain that this iPad makes me seem illiterate. It changes my words around and often uses words that bare no resemblance to the one I wanted/tried to type..... Just in case you wondered!!
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Have fun doing the freezer, cupboard sort out, get your menu done for a week and see how little shopping you can manage on - I promise you, you will be shocked. The lurking tins, hidden pasta, lost chorizo - all combine to make some fab meals. I am laughing now as people I work with would not recognise this crazed mortgage busting woman as their colleague. Calm, orderly, controlled in the office and turning the microwave off to save electricity at home. However just to balance the books, I did double up my red and blue vouchers and bought..............wine!! :beer:
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    My cupboards are well and truly organised, for years I have always stored everything in order, did you ever see sleeping with the enemy? This is where the crazy guy stores all of his tins in rows with the label facing forward. Well with the exception of having the labels forwards, this is me! A row for beans, row for chopped toms, pulses, beg etc etc. I'm a real nightmare, if DH packs the food away, I have to organise it all again to my liking, otherwise how do you know when something needs to be replaced.

Sadly after checking the contents, apart from a box of fish fingers there wasn't really much to be found. All pasta, rice etc had been used up and no veg lurking anywhere. I guess this is a good thing as it means that I'm already disciplined, but unfortunate that there are no money savings to be made here.

I really laughed Tilly when you said that you turn the microwave off. Me too!!! Gone are the days where the microwave display is used to tell the time. Always turned off! Along with the TV's on standby etc etc.

Loving the tip re the doubling of the vouchers to buy wine, who needs lego land tickets for next Summer anyway thats what I say!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One last point, the deciding factor for my DH was knowing that once the millstone has gone he will have money to buy a car. By that I mean one he chooses, not because the seats fold flat, the boots the right height, easy to park etc, but one he wants because it fits his agenda not that of the family.

I guess it is whatever works to provide that extra motivation

This is also the "bait " I use to get my dh to agree that oping is a good idea! We have new economical family car , but what we really need is an expensive sports car that goes very fast costs a lot to run and does'nt fit the kids in. When the mortgage is gone he can get the car. :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Tilly/Newgirly - loving your bait stories!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Popped in to town at lunch time...

1 - needed to sort out the kids bank accounts. They both have accounts where the interest rate is non existent. Have now closed accounts and moved balances, so they each have new 90 day notice accounts. Still just earning a miserable 3.05% but better than it was before....

2 - Needed a new lip gloss, very girly I know. But, I only ever have 1 which is used every day and it needed to be replaced as had just about run out. Unfortunately, I only really like clarins so it cost me £16.50. I also needed some exfoliator and so the nice SA gave me a pack full of decent size samples (most of which I use), £7 worth of boots points and a free 30ml moisturiser which is worth around £30. So although I ended up spending £35.50 I did quite well from it.

3 - I used some of my points to buy my lunch in Boots/Waitrose. I got £6.50 worth of stuff for just £3.19 and I used my points to pay so it didn't cost me anything. One of the things I got was a yummy huge yogurt with cherries and granola - this will do me for lunch tomorrow.
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Good = I have cooked homemade lentil and vegetable soup for dinner

Bad = no bread rolls in the house. DH purchased discounted parbaked rolls that we approaching best by so he froze them...... But, they can't be cooked fom frozen.

Bad = first trip to the orange shop now to get bread rolls to go with the home made soup.

Good = seeing a girl friend tonight and rather than going out for dinner and drinks, I'm popping round to hers for a glass of vino and a natter.
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Had a lovely evening with my friend, she came to me and brought the wine, so saved some fuel and a few £'s.
    DH's car needed new tyres. Heard from a friend about a tyre recycling place, so got them from there. Ended up with virtually brand new tyres, paid £25 for each of them instead of £75, so very happy about that, a saving of £200!
    Still needs rear brakes and pads, but that can wait until the end of the month.
    Was planning to see brother this weekend, but it's been cancelled. Sad not to see him, but saves £100 minimum in regards to fuel and other adhoc expenses, so every cloud has a silver lining I guess.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure