Hearing aid fitting

I would welcome advice on how to get well fitted hearing aids - my mother finds hers uncomfortable. It doesn't help that she hates things over or in her ears, except glasses. It is a completely new area to me and I don't know how to find someone who will help her find the most comfortable for her among the many kinds available and adjust them appropriately to fit her. Is there the equivalent of the high street optician who will spend ages fitting them and adjusting the fit?
But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
Had the whole of their cash in his care.
Lewis Carroll

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You can get in the ear aids, but I doubt they are as effective.
    Does she have the sort with a mould placed in the ear? Getting used to putting those in so they are comfortable often takes a while.
    When I wore them I found a very small smear of petroleum jelly on the mould made it slightly easier to manoeuvre into the correct position.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 August 2019 at 5:49AM
    Although I admit that, from my own experience, I seem to be negative, I do hope you have good success for your mother.

My GP, hospital doctor and NHS audiology have all tried numerous treatments and different moulds over a number of years for me. I am grateful for their efforts and patience over the years but I really cannot tolerate the moulds in my ears. The open fit type, unfortunately, did not help and the newest hypoalergenic ones also failed.

I have ear canal psoriasis and after about 15 minutes or so with my aids in (sometimes one hour if the psoriasis is 'calm' ) the itching becomes intolerable. Treatment for the psoriasis does not cure the condition. It seems futile as hearing aids cannot work when they cannot be worn.

It gets me down a lot because people ask why I don't use my hearing aids and I am always missing out in conversations. People get fed up, sometimes irritated, often having to repeat things. They give up and I give up. The telephone is difficult and I have had so many different mobile phones with only very limited success.

It is very isolating. I think doctors and audiology have done their best for me but nothing seems to resolve the problem. At my age it seems to be impossible to find a solution. One young hospital doctor told me I would probably never get rid of the problem. As my age increases my hearing is getting worse.

I hope so much that your mum has success because it will make a huge difference to her. All the best.

Retired Saver
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 January at 3:27PM
    [quote=[Deleted User];76148831]Although I admit that, from my own experience, I am being very negative, I do hope you have good success for your mother.

My GP, hospital doctor and NHS audiology have all tried numerous treatments and different moulds over a number of years for me. I am grateful for their efforts and patience over the years but I really cannot tolerate the moulds in my ears. The open fit type, unfortunately, did not help and the newest hypoalergenic ones also failed.

I have ear canal psoriasis and after 15 minutes (sometimes one hour maximum) the itching becomes intolerable. Treatment for the psoriasis does not cure the condition.

It gets me down a lot because people ask why I don't use my hearing aids and I am always missing out in conversations. People get fed up, sometimes irritated, often having to repeat things. They give up and I give up.

It is very isolating. I think doctors and audiology have done their best for me but nothing seems to resolve the problem. At my age it seems to be impossible to find a solution. One young hospital doctor told me I would probably never get rid of the problem. As my age increases my hearing is getting worse.

I hope so much that your mum has success because it will make a huge difference to her. All the best.

Retired Saver[/QUOTE]
    It won't be as effective as a proper hearing aid but it might be worth trying apple airpods with an iPhone and use the listening function. The airpods maybe more comfortable. This is not ideal but in the absence of any other solution it maybe useful.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 January at 3:27PM
    [quote=[Deleted User];76148831]Although I admit that, from my own experience, I seem to be negative, I do hope you have good success for your mother.

I have ear canal psoriasis and after about 15 minutes or so with my aids in (sometimes one hour if the psoriasis is 'calm' ) the itching becomes intolerable. Treatment for the psoriasis does not cure the condition. It seems futile as hearing aids cannot work when they cannot be worn.

It gets me down a lot because people ask why I don't use my hearing aids and I am always missing out in conversations. People get fed up, sometimes irritated, often having to repeat things. They give up and I give up. The telephone is difficult and I have had so many different mobile phones with only very limited success.

Retired Saver[/QUOTE]
    Is your hearing poor enough to be considered for a cochlear implant? You do not have anything blocking your ear canal with those.
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You can get hearing aids put on the ends of your spectacles. Mine were very good, but unsightly with very short hair.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 August 2019 at 9:18AM
    Thanks Tom 99 - at my age, and with my other significant health problems, I don't think this expensive major procedure would be considered on the NHS. Thank you for suggesting it.

Retired Saver
  • beedeedee wrote: »
    You can get hearing aids put on the ends of your spectacles. Mine were very good, but unsightly with very short hair.

Do you think this would be available on the NHS? If so I could ask at my next appointment due in about 8 weeks. That 'system' would help as, apart from when sleeping, I always have to have my glasses on. Thanks for this really good suggestion.

This might also be good for theoretica's mum if she also wears glasses all the time.

Retired Saver
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I was avoiding my hearing aid as it was uncomfortable unless I desperately needed it. However, on a recent checking appointment I found that I was positioning it too far back. Now I'm wearing it in top of my ear and eventually getting used to it. :)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure