reducing blood pressure for operation

Options
I need a minor operation (elective day surgery). At a pre assessment review I was found to be in all round excellent health with no significant illnesses or weaknesses. The only problem which arose was that my blood pressure is above the normal limits for the anaesthetic. (Not much but just enough they are not comfortable operating with it at current levels.) There is no obvious reason for this, all my vital signs are within normal limits. What normally happens in this case? How will they try to reduce it?

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would imagine a visit to your GP is needed, they can monitor your BP and find out if it is an ongoing problem or not. High blood pressure can be symptomless and also be an issue in otherwise healthy people.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »
    I need a minor operation (elective day surgery). At a pre assessment review I was found to be in all round excellent health with no significant illnesses or weaknesses. The only problem which arose was that my blood pressure is above the normal limits for the anaesthetic. (Not much but just enough they are not comfortable operating with it at current levels.) There is no obvious reason for this, all my vital signs are within normal limits.

Talk to your GP but it would also be worth buying a BP monitor and see what your readings are like at home.

Several people in our family have 'white coat syndrome' - their BP readings are always high when taken at the surgery but fine when they test at home. Their GPs get them to bring their own readings in now.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 August 2019 at 1:03PM
    Options
    You possibly know this but meditation or mindfulness can bring down BP.

If you have a monitor check it out- higher reading then sit calmly, empty mind, think of sandy beach, palm trees or whatever turns you on, or a piece of classical music, looking at mountains etc then take another reading.

If this works for you its a technique you can use in the surgery etc.

I suffer from white coat syndrome- so BP high in surgery, plus I have usually been rushing to get there.

Losing weight makes a difference and there are lots of foods that can help too. I seem to remember beetroot is one of them.

Surgery told me to buy a monitor- they are around £20 from Argos. I bought the one recommended by St John's as it has a larger cuff. Very easy to use and it was actually the cheapest (£19.99).
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • littlegreenparrot
    Options
    I had blood pressure issues in my 20's and definitely did not want to go on medication.

Did my research on blood pressure association website and followed their advice about diet.
    At the time it was 8-12 portions of fruit and veg a day, and there were a few things that particularly helped ( vaguely remember bananas and melon, something to do with the potassium)

No added salt to anything, stopped eating crisps.

Blood pressure sorted itself out within a few months.

It's worth having a look at it, certainly won't do any harm.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 August 2019 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Didn't they give you any advice at the pre-op assessment - like see your GP?

I didn't want to go on medication so changed my lifestyle a bit. Exercise (if you can), don't add salt to food (and no pre-salted food if possible), eat at least two or three bananas per day (potassium), and eat plenty of garlic! (I chop up one or two cloves per day and put them into a plain yoghurt and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours.)

Stop smoking (if you do), reduce alcohol consumption.

(If I were you my blood pressure would be through the roof because of the gnomes at Zurich!)

EDIT: I did eventually have to go onto medication - very effective, no side effects
  • Old_Grey_Mare
    Options
    My blood pressure was very high at my pre-op assessment. My GP was reluctant to immediately put me on medication and had me fitted for a 24 blood pressure monitor. The readings were normal and surgery went ahead.

By the way I have an Omron blood pressure monitor at home and readings were always quite high when I took them.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2019 at 4:44PM
    Options
    sorry wrong posting
  • Kojak12
    Kojak12 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    The best things to do in the short term is to stop drinking alcohol. Even small amounts cause a big increase in blood pressure. Secondly, try doing some cardio each day - get breathless for around 30 mins.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its pretty common to have raised BP at a pre assessment

Unless you were advised to see your GP, I myself personally wouldn't worry

( you have heard of white coat syndrome? )

In the meantime, cut down on alcohol , smokes and salt. Don't dwell on the BP reading as a high BP reading alone isn't a huge problem. If you are overweight, losing a few pounds will make a huge difference and even a small amount of exercise will lower it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure