MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Anne put the animals down?

Options

Comments

• cindyted
    cindyted Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I am in very good health thank you.

You suggest I am lacking in compassion because I dare point out there are two sides to the discussion.

Can I suggest you get a grip my dear.

:D
    I do not thing the term 'chop them up' is particularly a nice term, and I am sure could have been put in a more sympathetic manner. I agree there a two sides to this discussion. You are are obviously passionate about your Rugby, I am passionate about animals. As for getting a grip, dont patronise me.
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April 2010 at 5:56PM
    Options
    DOGS

Founded in 1891, Dogs Trust (formerly the National Canine Defence League) is the largest dog welfare charity in the UK. Our mission is to bring about the day when all dogs can enjoy a happy life, free from the threat of unnecessary destruction.
    http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/searchcentres/default.aspx

CATS

Helping the Harder to Home Cats ('Top Cats' section) - Most rescues find they have a few cats that always seem to be overlooked, and often stay in care for months or even years. They may be elderly, have a medical condition, be very shy, or are simply passed by in favour of prettier or younger cats. Rescues can feature any 'harder to home' cats on our Top Cats section. This section has been very successful in finding new homes for many cats, some of whom had almost given up hope.
    http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

RODENTS

Special notice should be given to Paws Here in Edinburgh - I support and regularly donate to this shelter and I take in their elderly rats when I can.
    http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/rabferr.html

FARM ANIMALS

I am less familiar with farm animals but I have these links which may help:

http://www.farmanimalrescue.org.uk/farm-animal-rescue-sanctuary-history.htm
    Middlesex

http://www.thefarmanimalsanctuary.co.uk/
    Worcestershire

http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/farm.html
    UK

This site in general is really good for around the country shelters:
    http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/
  • neilpost
    neilpost Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Munkee2 wrote: »
    His reply was

"We find these cases a bit of a dilemma. An ethical stance would be to rehome the dog through one of the charities and generally we would advice people to do this. However, if the owner insists on the dog being put to sleep then from a legal point of view we have to abid what the owner decides as the dog is considered a chattel or property. If we do any action that the owner has not consented to then it is considered as trespass and we could be arrested and charged as such. I give the owner the options and the pros and cons and leave the decision up to them. If they decide euthanasia is action they want to take then I will euthanase the animal. There was one case of a vet who said he would euthanase a dobermann but rehomed it where upon the original owners saw the "deceased" dobermann. He was struck off and not allowed to practice for 2 years."

Last time I had an animal put down (Cat with Cat Flu), there was no Vet's dilema (ethical or otherwise), about the £160 they releived me of....:mad:
  • Enchantica
    Options
    neilpost wrote: »
    Last time I had an animal put down (Cat with Cat Flu), there was no Vet's dilema (ethical or otherwise), about the £160 they releived me of....:mad:

They charged you £160 for cat euthanasia??
  • gone4gold62
    gone4gold62 Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    maybe she needs to take the decision to stop any expensive medical care and let them pass away naturally
    but if they are requiring medical care surely to stop it could maybe be considered cruel??:(
  • kutsu119
    kutsu119 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Eat them. They're animals - cheap chicken, cheap dogs, all the same.
  • Enchantica
    Options
    kutsu119 wrote: »
    Eat them. They're animals - cheap chicken, cheap dogs, all the same.

Amazing how many trolls are attracted to these kinds of threads.
  • Enchantica
    Options
    but if they are requiring medical care surely to stop it could maybe be considered cruel??:(

Yes stopping medication would be cruel. Shelter.
  • pippitypip_2
    pippitypip_2 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    lorne57 wrote: »
    Also please note from Martin's opening post

She's got a pony, two goats, four dogs, three cats and a hamster - many getting on in years and with medical problems

where in the opening post did it say the animals were healthy?

Many getting on in years and with medical problems, equally does not mean some are not young and in full health.

Medical problems doesn't necessarily mean high cost either, and neither does getting on in years. Obviously the costs full stop are too much for Anne to deal with, without a job, however that doesn't also necessarily mean they're costing her thousands in vets fees either and costs may be perfectly manageable by others.

My main point is, where there's a will, there's a way. If you've taken on responsibility for an animal's welfare, you should indeed be responsible for their welfare. e.g. a dog's for life, not just for when you have some spare cash etc etc

To me, the getting rid option just smacks of what's wrong with today's society - no-one taking ownership of anything and responsibility ends when things get a bit tough.

If you have an animal that you can no longer care for, I don't think it's too much to ask you to do some research about your options in re-homing or find out what help there is out there. I think as a pet owner you OWE that to the animals you're responsible for, or you shouldn't be a pet owner at all in the first place.

pippitypip
    I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok - they know me here! :D
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You say you will try to bypass the moral aspect of this debate, then base your whole argument on people's consciences. I am not quite sure how the logic of this works?

:D

Yes, well, I said I'd TRY to bypass the moral argument - I didn't say I'd succeed...;)! But some people are such slaves to conscience (whether rightly or wrongly) that pure logic is irrelevant in their ultimate decision. I suppose that's what I was getting at, in a round-about sort of way.

Please don't have a go at me anyway - I'm firmly impaled on the fence on this particular MMD!!! ;) (Plus, I got distracted when my dog threw up on my office floor, bless him).

As I mentioned; I don't think this is a straight 'yes or no' problem for a lot of people. The psychological make-up of the individual is an overwhelming factor in the original MMD and, therefore, the impartiality of a logical conclusion is compromised because of the (potentially heart-breaking) finality of the ultimate decision.

Good debate, though...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport