DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• Summer12
    Summer12 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Usually an account is put on hold whilst the request is actioned.

All it says in the actual legislation is :

(4) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.

so its a bit vague in respect of what you want to know.

This is why I think I’ll follow the first request up with a second later stating they are in default and should put the account on hold. Thanks Sourcrates
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Token payments.... or no payments ?????

I totally agree with Sourcrates. Token payments are a bit pointless when starting DMP / saving for an emergency fund. It's also correct they cost the creditor more to process than the £1 token payment they receive.

However, I am paying token payments now :) I have all my accounts defaulted, most transferred from original creditors to DCAs, emergency fund saved. So why am I paying token payments rather than full DMP payments or zero payments. I am paying token payments to 'show willing' with DCAs and keep them on-side so to speak whilst I save for F&Fs. I feel (and it is my opinion only) that if I totally ignore them or don't make some sort of payment they are more likely to start considering more action - what that action may be I have no idea, but worst case scenarios for me would be CCJs or charging orders. I don't want that so I pay token payments. However, during DMP setup, saving for EF and definitely when creditors do not provide information requested under CCA requests - zero payments all the way.

That's my two pennies worth on this subject :)

Totally agree with your take on this, January, and the way you are dealing with things:T:beer:. I'm doing exactly the same with token payments for exactly the same reason.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok, have written a follow up CCA letter to L*nk, just to make myself feel better:) before stopping payments while we wait for their reply. I will now stop the SO's for the 3 accounts until we hear from them.
  • System
    Options
    Token payments.... or no payments ?????

I totally agree with Sourcrates. Token payments are a bit pointless when starting DMP / saving for an emergency fund. It's also correct they cost the creditor more to process than the £1 token payment they receive.

However, I am paying token payments now :) I have all my accounts defaulted, most transferred from original creditors to DCAs, emergency fund saved. So why am I paying token payments rather than full DMP payments or zero payments. I am paying token payments to 'show willing' with DCAs and keep them on-side so to speak whilst I save for F&Fs. I feel (and it is my opinion only) that if I totally ignore them or don't make some sort of payment they are more likely to start considering more action - what that action may be I have no idea, but worst case scenarios for me would be CCJs or charging orders. I don't want that so I pay token payments. However, during DMP setup, saving for EF and definitely when creditors do not provide information requested under CCA requests - zero payments all the way.

That's my two pennies worth on this subject :)

So can I just clarify Jan...You are paying token payments to all creditors. So I presume you just tinkered with the I&E forms to make it look like it was all you could afford? When we started SM last month, I said token payments for 6 months but sent an I&E showing what we would pay after the 6 months. So presume just do another one and make it look like we can still only afford £1?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    So can I just clarify Jan...You are paying token payments to all creditors. So I presume you just tinkered with the I&E forms to make it look like it was all you could afford? When we started SM last month, I said token payments for 6 months but sent an I&E showing what we would pay after the 6 months. So presume just do another one and make it look like we can still only afford £1?

That's what I did, ploppy:T

I too initially put a time limit of 6 months on my intention to pay tokens for 6 months. I wish I hadn't now, would have been better to leave it open ended. I didn't mention anything about what the repayment figure would be after the 6 months though. However, all but one of my creditors have let the £1 agrrement run beyond 6 months without even contacting me:j. The only one that has quibbled and asked for an updated I&E is Lloyds (via Wescot) and they say in their letter that it's to ensure that I'm still able to afford what I'm paying now:rotfl:. I think I can just about cope with the £1 I pay them;):p. I'll be sending an updated I&E which will be identical to the last one.
  • System
    Options
    That's what I did, ploppy:T

I too initially put a time limit of 6 months on my intention to pay tokens for 6 months. I wish I hadn't now, would have been better to leave it open ended. I didn't mention anything about what the repayment figure would be after the 6 months though. However, all but one of my creditors have let the £1 agrrement run beyond 6 months without even contacting me:j. The only one that has quibbled and asked for an updated I&E is Lloyds (via Wescot) and they say in their letter that it's to ensure that I'm still able to afford what I'm paying now:rotfl:. I think I can just about cope with the £1 I pay them;):p. I'll be sending an updated I&E which will be identical to the last one.

WE have 5 with them.....all Ll**ds and H/Fax.
    I will just wait till the end of the 6 months and send a new I&E to everybody saying that due to change in circumstances I will continue to pay the £1.
    In one way I hate it as it looks as though our debt is not going down quick enough,:eek: but I do appreciate that we will be able to save and get them paid off quicker in the long run.
    Hoping to pay the small one we have with N*wd*y very soon as it is only just over £200 left to pay.:)
  • Summer12
    Summer12 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WE have 5 with them.....all Ll**ds and H/Fax.
    I will just wait till the end of the 6 months and send a new I&E to everybody saying that due to change in circumstances I will continue to pay the £1.
    In one way I hate it as it looks as though our debt is not going down quick enough,:eek: but I do appreciate that we will be able to save and get them paid off quicker in the long run.
    Hoping to pay the small one we have with N*wd*y very soon as it is only just over £200 left to pay.:)

Can I ask if you have ever been asked to supply wage slips etc to back up your i&e sheet when going self managed. Our problem is most of our enforcable debt is with our bank so they know everything we spend on :eek:
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Summer12 wrote: »
    Can I ask if you have ever been asked to supply wage slips etc to back up your i&e sheet when going self managed. Our problem is most of our enforcable debt is with our bank so they know everything we spend on :eek:

Move your bank account asap.... never bank where you have debt :eek:

I've never been asked for wage slips or bank statements by anyone other than Stepchange. Once we went self managed, no-one asked and if they did I would have ignored them :D

Over 2 years in self managed, paying token £1 per month to each creditor and happy to keep doing so :)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Yes - I&E evidences we cannot afford more than £1 each to our creditors.

Circumstances change - our did ;)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Summer12 wrote: »
    First step before you do or say anything to anyone is.........set up a new basic bank account, with a bank with whom you have no debt !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure