Unmortgageable Property

Options
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. Myself and my partner have applied from a mortgage on a property with Natwest. The property needs some work so my Dad (who is a builder) came out to assess the situation before we proceeded with the mortgage - no major issues.

The surveyor has advised - the property falls short of the lender’s core requirements, specifically the one of the property being in a reasonable state of repair. The property had no central heating or hot water, had significant damp issues, as well as a number of structural issues.

The property has no hot water or heating as the vendor turned the boiler off 8 years ago (I assume for cost purposes). We were aware of the other issues and had already made enquiries to resolve the concerns quickly.

Is there a way to get this mortgage pushed through as I am now concerned it will be rejected?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'll need to clarify what you mean by "making enquiries to resolve the concerns". The lender will want the relevant problems to be fixed (and the property reinspected) before they proceed.

If the boiler is merely switched off that shouldn't be a problem, perhaps the surveyor was sceptical about everything working again when it's turned on after an 8 year slumber.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This property is simply unmortgagable. Not suitable security for any standard mortgage lending.

Mortgage Lenders need security they can sell quickly and easily in the event of non payment. This is not such a property.

If you are in a position to take a bridging loan you can possibly borrow for six to twelve months to make the purchase and have Dad sort the property to make a standard mortgage an option.

Expect to have either 30% to 40% deposit, or a second property you can use as additional security.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    looks like the property is only for cash buyers as it's not mortageable and understandable
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Your definition of habitable and the lenders will be different unfortunately. What they are looking for specifically is whether the property is saleable now, or in future (in the event of a repossession) and features such as poor central heating and structural/damp issues make it a less attractive proposition to lend against.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Habitable means in the middle of winter, would 90% of the population be happy to stay in that property - that is not a definition the lenders use, but it is a good way to look at it. The reality is you might be as you are looking at the bigger picture, but most people would not.

As mentioned above, you will need a bridging loan as the proeprty stands by the sounds of it. Once the bigger jobs (ie heating/water/damp) are sorted, you could potentially look to get the a "normal" mortgage.

I did something like you guys did a few years back. There were storage heaters and hot water and only one plug socket in the whole house that worked (that had black soot around it!). But the difference was that there was heating and hot water.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure