Entry Level Power Lifting

Options
Hey guys,

I am looking to compete at amateur level in Powerlifting. I am weighing in at around 87kg and am lifting double my bodyweight across Deadlift, Squat (Bench needs work!)

Where do I start, looking online a lot of the competitions appear to be ranked (eg qualifying required) I train at a public gym and unfortunately when I asked a couple of the trainers I just got a shrug of the shoulders and ‘look online’ I'd love to get involved at local level and go from there.

Any advice appreciated!
“It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”

Comments

• Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Isn't there a governing body for power lifting who could advise of eg nearest club?
  • emmzickle
    emmzickle Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's also other federations such as the British Drug Free Powerlifting Association (BDFPA) and Amateur British Powerlifting Union (ABPU).

Have a look at the different ones for their divisional comps, look at their comp results for your weight class etc.

Would definitely recommend speaking to a coach before you do your 1st comp so you are aware of the rules, the commands, things that will get you red lights etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure