people lie about debt

Options
13»

Comments

• onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a newish housing estate by us. Average about £400000 per house. Most people on that estate are in their early thirties, with young children and pets. Most have two new cars, eg a mini and a 4x4. Most walk their kids to the local school each morning, so I would say there's not two full-time incomes. At Halloween and Christmas their houses are lit up like a late night footy match with lights and snowmen and witches.

Of course they are in debt.

Maybe they just make lots of money? I’m told there are people who do.

The new car on my drive is a company car, btw.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    Maybe they just make lots of money? I’m told there are people who do.

The new car on my drive is a company car, btw.

I don't get that impression. Maybe they do, but the deals you get with new builds and the deals you get on expensive cars (£60000 cars) makes me think otherwise. The estate is quite cheap comparably in our area. But I take your point. Just can't see why anyone would waste so much money if it was actually 'their' money.
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    People are rarely upfront about money and debt. It is something of a taboo subject so it is not surprising your colleague don't admit they are in debt. I have been the same. I had thousands of hidden debts from my family. Whenever the subject of money came up at work or with friends I would cringe and try and change the subject.

It is hugely uncomfortable to talk freely to people about debt, so I guess most people keep a lid on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure