Moneyclaim advice please- Lowell

Options
Hi all,

My wife has today received a moneyclaim from Lowell Solicitors regarding an O2 bill from 2013, this has come out of the blue with no previous communications

It relates to a disagreement with 02 regarding a final bill for which O2 eventually agreed with us and said nothing was outstanding, we then received 6 months later demands for 6 different accounts and amounts which were obviously not ours

We wrote to O2 who apologised for this

We then heard nothing more until today, obviously we will be defending it as its not ours but wondered what I put, do we say we will be defending it and then contact Lowell and O2 seperately to ask them to withdraw it why they prove the debt?

We will have a look this weekend as to whether we still have the paperwork they gave us but it was 6 years ago so not sure we do

Any advice on what to write in the defence is appreciated

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

The more elements of doubt you can put into this, the better your chance of a positive outcome.
    If the debt defaulted more than 6 years ago, it would be statute barred by now, so your defence would be "this is not my debt, and if it were, it would now be statute barred in any case".

You should write to Lowell and ontline events prior to them purchasing the debt.

Its up to Lowell to deal with O2 as they have washed there hands of the debt by selling it on.

Its very common for old disputed debts to suddenly rear there ugly heads again, in the form of a court claim, many years later, as creditors just sit on the old accounts, then sell them on in bulk.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2019 at 8:11AM
    Options
    You should write to Lowell and ontline events prior to them purchasing the debt.

2d8j10.jpg

If it looks like this, it is a live MCOL claim. The process is to acknowledge the claim within 14 days and send in a defence to MCOL within 28 days. The instructions on what to do are on the MCOL form but if in doubt phone the MCOL helpline.

These are the two stages needed to get the issue moved to the next stage (allocation) which gives you up to 30 weeks to sort the issue with Lowell

Edit: If it is just a threat of a MCOL claim then follow SC's instructions.
    The more elements of doubt you can put into this, the better your chance of a positive outcome.
    If the debt defaulted more than 6 years ago, it would be statute barred by now, so your defence would be "this is not my debt, and if it were, it would now be statute barred in any case".

SC has given you a basis for a defence you would put in, plus ticking the box, I deny the debt [is collectable]

Lowell and others try this one from time to time and should have sent a Letter before Claim 30 days ago. If they didn't then you could put this in the defence too as a failure to follow pre-action protocol.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • Lea12
    Lea12 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Apologises to jump on the back of this! But looking for some help!

Are Lowell Solicitors and Lowell Financial the same people? My partner has a CCJ with Lowell Solicitors but when researching them all we found was people and money advice experts saying not to pay them as they're “dodgy” and not paying off debts. But always showed as Lowell Financial even when searching Lowell Solicitors.

We are really confused on what to believe! Any help would be highly appreciated!!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lea12 wrote: »

Are Lowell Solicitors and Lowell Financial the same people? My partner has a CCJ with Lowell Solicitors but when researching them all we found was people and money advice experts saying not to pay them as they're “dodgy” and not paying off debts. But always showed as Lowell Financial even when searching Lowell Solicitors.

We are really confused on what to believe! Any help would be highly appreciated!!

Yes but 2 different divisions if you like.

Lowell Solicitors are just that.
    Lowell Financial possibly collect the debts owed.

How old is the CCJ ?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lea12 wrote: »

Lowell are major players in the debt purchasing industry, they have various umberella companies which operate different parts of their buisness, these include :

Lowell portfolio 1 LTD
    Lowell Financial
    Lowell Solicitors

They are no better or woese than any other debt purchasing company, they are legitimate, they own the debt, and have a CCJ in their favor, therfore you should engage with them to avoid further escalation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure