Dumbbells to Weights -possible

Options
Dandytf
Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 6 May 2019 at 7:20PM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
That's 1st year attending local council gym complete since early 2018 -Feb approx.
Slow late start to 2019 though getting upto multiple exercises each visit again.
Though I have m.s. I manage 10 mins level 10 cross trainer.
Getting upto +5 miles per hour 6-10 mins treadmill.
Lat Pulldown 12-(36)
Forgot ankle lifting machine -90-(36)
Cycle matching 10 mins level 10

5/6. Kilo dumbbells
36 of each bench exercises.
Lifting dumbbells 36 times.
Bench press with dumbbells 36 times
Lift dumbbells one arm one at a time -36 times.

Is it possible I could maybe try lifting weights.
I'm not sure what weights start from.
Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb

Comments

• Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    edited 6 May 2019 at 9:34PM
    Options
    If you've got MS congratulations on your achievement and dedication.

When you say "weights" do you mean a barbell or weights machines (dumbells are weights too)?

If you mean a barbell it depends on the weight of the bar. I guess the lightest bar would be about 10kg then you add weight disks on each side - they might start at 1.25kg each (then 2.5, 5, 7.5 etc), but it all depends on what's available at your gym.

Can you not get advice from a personal trainer who has knowledge of your condition and physical limitations? This is obviously particularly important if you have MS.

Good luck!

EDIT: If you any have stability problems you may want to avoid barbells (and dumbbells) and go for machines.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    If you've got MS congratulations on your achievement and dedication.
    When you say "weights" do you mean a barbell or weights machines (dumbells are weights too)?
    If you mean a barbell it depends on the weight of the bar. I guess the lightest bar would be about 10kg then you add weight disks on each side - they might start at 1.25kg each (then 2.5, 5, 7.5 etc), but it all depends on what's available at your gym.
    Can you not get advice from a personal trainer who has knowledge of your condition and physical limitations? This is obviously particularly important if you have MS.
    Good luck!
    [QUOTE
    Thanks I have had some use of vertical weights machine not as often as I could!
    If the bar weights are barbell then 10kg could be initial attempt.
    I did speak verbally to gym instructor when I joined early 2017 -though I agreed to try sand build up resistance 1st as recommended by m.s. nurses etc.

Physical limitations are weakened left side including back shoulder arm_hand.
    Both legs have retained some strength as m.s. is very early stage and I have medication since 2017.
    I did have scan recently with employees health advisor (employee benefit)
    It does clearly show lower left back in what the nurse called danger zone though I don't feel any specific pain as such.
    Thanks for taking the time to offer sound advice.
    I'll ask gym instructor tomorrow if it's possible to try barbell weights.
    As ?I was referred from m.s. physio team 2018 the local gym instructors know of this illness.
    The important part is 10kg weights as I honestly haven't had a chance to ask a free instructor,
    Thankfully with their help I have made use of exercising for over 1 year.
    ]qoute
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    The problem with a barbell is that if the lightest you can get is about 10kg, you ideally need to have it positioned on the floor so that the bar itself is about nine inches off the floor - otherwise you may put too much strain on your back by bending over too far. The normal way to do this would be by using weight disks on each end to raise it off the floor - but that would probably mean it's too heavy for you.

I'd say be careful and don't get carried away with your progress so far. You don't want to risk injury. If you can get advice at the gym that might be helpful - assuming the person you ask understands what you can and can't do. If you end up paying for a personal trainer or for advice, make sure they're properly accredited and you know who to sue in the event of an accident. (Don't want to put you off - I'm serious).

I'd go by what your nurses advise. If you haven't seen a NHS physiotherapist already, see one!

Good luck!
  • Dandytf
    edited 7 May 2019 at 10:34PM
    Options
    It was nhs physiotherapist that referred me to gym to build up resistance.
    Thanks hopefully I'll get a shot@10kg's
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Ok

Take care and don't overdo it!
  • Dandytf
    edited 7 May 2019 at 6:08PM
    Options
    Thanks
    Asked gym instructor today.
    Two bars are currently setup-one 10k one 20k.
    I'll try lower weights next week and hopefully I'm not wasting time.
    Meanwhile todays session was decent including 6kg in each hand 36times each bench exercise.
    Managed to return to 10 mins level 10 cross trainer as I lost a few levels since start of 2019.
    Treadmill continues to increase slightly -wish I had enough strength or stamina to manage 10 mins at 5 or 6 mph.
    Currently 3 Mins time though finding above 6 mph is decent-where can I find extra strength or stamina tio achieve 10 mins.
    M.s.nurse was helpful late 2018-advising I could build up treadmill 1 minute a time.
    Walk/jog is excellent meaning I can start at 5or 6 mph for 3 mins then slow the treadmill to 4.5 and walk for a min or two-repeat across 10 mins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure