Career Change

Options
Good Morning Guys

So I'm looking to change career at 31. I have a mortgage but no kids and my partner works full time. I'm looking at a trade like plumbing or plastering but would have to serve an apprenticeship. The issue with this I cannot leave my job currently (24k a year) and take the drop and sustain the mortgage plus a wedding next year to pay for.

I want to drop my hours at work to around 30 hours a week over 3 days, Thursday/Friday/Saturday and approach potential employers to complete apprenticeship Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday and go to college evening courses to complete my NVQ etc.

I'm thinking solidly about this but wondering how is best to approach the potential employers regarding the working 3 days a week at the age of 30 and explaining my circumstances.

Any advice would be welcome. I can't be the first person to have retrained at this age with a mortgage round my neck

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have to do an apprenticeship? I had an IT colleague who trained to be a plumber while continuing to do his job full time, then once he'd qualified left to set up his own plumbing business.
  • flipdu77on
    Options
    It's the experience that people need to gain full time work at a good rate of pay. There is a construction company in my area looking for apprentices accross Elec/Plumb/Plaster/Joinery and I was thinking of emailing them with my circs and what I was looking to do.

Surely it would only benefit them to have a trustworthy adult eager to learn?
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    flipdu77on wrote: »
    It's the experience that people need to gain full time work at a good rate of pay. There is a construction company in my area looking for apprentices accross Elec/Plumb/Plaster/Joinery and I was thinking of emailing them with my circs and what I was looking to do.

Surely it would only benefit them to have a trustworthy adult eager to learn?

Well yes, except that my understanding of apprenticeships is that they have to pay an adult more than a malleable younger person......
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • flipdu77on
    flipdu77on Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe in the first year of your apprenticeship they can pay you the minimum wage for a standard apprentice which is around £3.70 p/h. I can do this for 3 days a week whilst still earning 30 hours per week at current employment and sustain everything however, I couldn't take the drop for a full year.

I'm just wondering how to position it wth employers to get the best response I can. I understand they would want someone 5 days a week however I'm hoping they could see why this wasn't possible in the first instance?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    flipdu77on wrote: »

I'm thinking solidly about this but wondering how is best to approach the potential employers regarding the working 3 days a week at the age of 30 and explaining my circumstances.

With difficulty unless you can find one who wants a part time apprentice.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • flipdu77on
    flipdu77on Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can imagine it will be difficult but was wondering if there is a way to sell it or just simply approach them and be honest?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure