Faulty generation meter?

Options
After eight years of running well, for the first time this quarter the inverter and the generation meter are showing drastically different readings. The inverter shows a generation this quarter of 115kWh, but the generation meter shows only 11kWh (eleven) over the same period.
The 115kWh for this last quarter is consistent with previous years for the equivalent quarter. There have been no changes to the system.
It seems that the generation meter is significantly out of step.
Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    swagman wrote: »
    After eight years of running well, for the first time this quarter the inverter and the generation meter are showing drastically different readings. The inverter shows a generation this quarter of 115kWh, but the generation meter shows only 11kWh (eleven) over the same period.
    The 115kWh for this last quarter is consistent with previous years for the equivalent quarter. There have been no changes to the system.
    It seems that the generation meter is significantly out of step.
    Or am I missing something?

Sounds like it's faulty.

I think the main clue is that you've been on top of this for 8yrs, so if it doesn't make sense to you now, then it must be something wrong.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Sounds like it's faulty.

I think the main clue is that you've been on top of this for 8yrs, so if it doesn't make sense to you now, then it must be something wrong.
    What I am doing for a few days is taking comparative readings at the same time each evening to see if inverter and generation meter are still out of step.
    Initial reaction is that they seem to match each others recording! This leaves me wondering what kind of, premusably, intermittent fault might have occured to knock over 100kWh off the meter?
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    swagman wrote: »
    What I am doing for a few days is taking comparative readings at the same time each evening to see if inverter and generation meter are still out of step.
    Initial reaction is that they seem to match each others recording! This leaves me wondering what kind of, premusably, intermittent fault might have occured to knock over 100kWh off the meter?

Hiya, I'm following this on Navitron too, makes no sense to me. Intermittent fault sounds like the only answer, but do they do that? New one on me, seems like you may be an unlucky pioneer in this field. :o
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It should be obvious on a sunny day if the meter is recording generation properly. We do get a few of them at this time of year!

If the meter isn't working, not only are you losing money, but it's your meter so it's your problem to fix it.

But you'd need to talk to your FIT provider to see how they handle replacement meters.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • nobby1963
    nobby1963 Posts: 351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi,
    Just to say that back a couple of years ago I thought that there may be an issue with our FIT generation meter, I contacted our installer who came out and set up a sparer meter he had to run in ' tandem ' with our existing meter for a couple of months.
    It turned out that there was no issue and we still have the original meter but also peace of mind.
    You, it would seem obviously have a faulty meter but using this method to diagnose is straightforward.
    Nobby.
    SMA 4000TL Inverter, 17 REC 235PE Panels, South facing, roof angle \ `ish, 3995 watt system.Installed Nov 2011.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure