Touch typing advice

Apologies if this is not the right forum.

I was recently offered a job, but I decided not to take it as my typing speed was much slower than I thought they would require. I've always typed with my two index fingers only. (My previous jobs have not involved much typing, so wasn't a problem).

Can anyone advise which online resources they've used when learning to touch type?

Comments

• Just to add:

I have a PC with two screens fitted.
    I've had a picture of the keyboard layout (by pausing on the 'Keyblaze' Youtube video) showing the keyboard keys divided up by colour, for each finger to use. Then, on the other screen I've been typing a document - trying to look at the picture of the colour coded keyboard on the screen, rather than the keyboard itself.

One thing I've noticed is that on my keyboard the speech marks " is on the number 2 key. The at @ is on the ' key.
    But on the colour coded keyboard video, these are reversed.
    Also a few other differences.
    So I didn't want to sign up for an online course, only to discover that the course uses a different keyboard layout to my PC.
  • One thing I've noticed is that on my keyboard the speech marks " is on the number 2 key. The at @ is on the ' key.
    But on the colour coded keyboard video, these are reversed.

Probably American layout.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,943 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I use https://www.typingclub.com/ mainly for teaching children but it is great for adults too.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Last I checked across Europe there are over 14 standard keyboard layouts.

It's absolutely worth checking which one you will be learning but in all honesty I don't think keyboard speeds are a make or break recruiting issue, more of a nice to have.

Unless you're going into a legal typists bureau, or the like...
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    There are numerous free touch typing software packages online.

I learnt the basics at night school and then carried on practicing.

I always recommend people visually split the keyboard and only use the left hand for the left side, the right hand for the right side, either thumb for the space bar. Start building up from one finger on each hand to two fingers on each, gain confidence then move to three fingers.

I type about 45 words a minute when I get going and would never be as fast as a career secretary, but it's never held me back in any of my roles including the secretary ones I've had :D
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There are numerous free touch typing software packages online.

I learnt the basics at night school and then carried on practicing.

I always recommend people visually split the keyboard and only use the left hand for the left side, the right hand for the right side, either thumb for the space bar. Start building up from one finger on each hand to two fingers on each, gain confidence then move to three fingers.

I type about 45 words a minute when I get going and would never be as fast as a career secretary, but it's never held me back in any of my roles including the secretary ones I've had :D

To clarify:

Is this to learn, say, a and j to start with - typing only an affirmative German word but with the other fingers hovering over the other home keys?
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    This is going to sound really strange but I learnt to touch type by typing in the dark.... student over night assignment writing :rotfl:

However even in jobs where they have asked for a certain typing/accuracy speed in the advert the job has ended up being something completely different, and not made a difference if I typed with 2 fingers or my whole hands.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I used to use Mavis Beacon typing tutor and can type really fast without looking! It didn’t take long to learn. This was in the 1990s... not sure if it still exists!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Learn to type words, so start with your first name, until you can do that without looking with two fingers and then your full name.

Start picking other words and learn them, keep practicing and you will learn your way round the keyboard.

A - G above and below with your left hand.
    H - L above and below with your right hand.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • I bought a book (anyone remember those??). I had a Brother portable typewriter.

Learning to type is incredibly boring (jjjj ffff jjjj ffff jjjj ffff etc etc) - but I have to say one of the most useful things I've ever learnt. Not only can I type without looking at the keyboard, I don't have to look at the screen either. Also, I know if I've made a mistake, can hit the delete button and correct it, all without looking. Not quite up to my husband's boss's skill level - she could talk in German while typing in English!!

So - whatever method you use to learn, the important thing is to be prepared to just plug away at it. It's all about muscle memory, so it's a case of practice practice practice. Boring - but perfectly doable.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure