Self Employed, Not Earning As Much As I Thought... E.g. no pension/holiday/sick contributions

Options
I've been trundling on very nicely making a decent living for nearly 5 years as a self employed person on the higher rate of tax, however it's really started to dawn on me how much one loses out on employer benefits, namely pension contributions and paid holiday/sick leave.

Has anyone done the maths and found they're better off employed, even if they take a £10k+ pay cut? I'm trying to work out what my pay really equates to in the conventional working world, if I was to go back to having a dreaded boss...! :eek:

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Surely you're better to look at increasing your revenue and paying for those things yourself?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    28 days holiday, incl bank holidays = save 28 days of your pay for your holiday entitlement to yourself.

Not all companies have sick pay above statutory sick pay. SSP is currently £92.05 per week for upto 28 weeks, first 3 days are not covered. = Take out an insurance policy to cover yourself, although I would hope you already do.

Minimum pension is 8% between employee and employer, depending on the company it's about 3x annual salary death in service benefit. = Have you not already got a pension to reduce your tax liability?

If you want to compare like with like then it's down to what line of work you will do working for someone else, how high up the ranks you think you will enter. Only then can other perks be looked at eg health benefit (Bupa etc), company car / allowance both attract tax and deductions from wages for the perks.

But you have an idea as to what is out there and could always look at a few businesses that have roles you would enter, see what perks they offer, then research as to what benefit it is compared to self-employment.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How did you arrive at a price for your services if you haven't done the maths already? And why are you self employed rather than working via a limited company, which does (still) bring some advantages, even with the dreaded IR35 lurking around.

For a simple comparison, divide last year's net profit by 52. Multiply by 45 (to allow for statutory holiday + some paid sick leave). Reduce your year's net profit by 3% (minimum employer contribution to a pension scheme under auto enrolment regulations). How does that figure equate to what you'd be worth in today's market, albeit with no allowance for perks such as live cover, health insurance, bonuses etc.

Then ponder this: how much is it worth to be your own boss?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You have to weigh up everything.

I could earn more being employed, but I get to spend time with my little girl in the morning, having breakfast watching TV, a little play etc all relaxed no rushing out the door.

I picked her up at 3pm today and we went to the park for a bit.

If I want to go to the golf course or gym tomorrow, once my calls are out of the way in the morning I can do.

You also have to look at money saved. When I worked in town, it would cost me about £100+ a month in travel and I would usually just buy lunch from a cafe - so there is a couple of grand a year. Working for myself I sometimes work from home so I save on both of those.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure