Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Auto-enrolment shambles

Options
2»

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd rather hope it was going into your own pension pot.

it was going into your own pension pot. if you werent so silly as to throw away free money
  • atush
    Options
    At 57, earning £8.14 an hour I have barely enough to live until retirement. To get any benefit at all from this pension I'd probably have to contribute 50% of my monthly earnings which would not work, would it?

if you dont have enough now, how will you then? You'll have to work until you drop?

Every penny saved now, is a penny plus .25 or more to spend in your retirement.
  • atush
    Options
    penners324 wrote: »
    It's not someone else's pension pot, it's yours.
    And your employer would have added an amout in as well.
    If you're paying in about £50 a month and then opted out, you'd only get an extra £30 in your take home pay give paye and ni contributions.

instead of $200 in your pension. Whats better, 30 or 100?

Boggles the mind really.
  • Barney_Rubble_0403
    Options
    Stick with it. You are contributing 4% of qualifying earnings (government adds back tax 1,%) and your employer 3%. The pension provider invests the money and hopefully your pot will grow.

We use Nest as our provider and everyone can sign into their account to see their pot. This pot travels with you if you change jobs and the new employer pays into it.

You should have received packs from the pension provider which gives you the option to withdraw from the scheme.If I remember you have to opt out directly with the pension provider. I might be wrong on that.
    ::A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport