Tsunami/plane full of emergency supplies from NI

Options
I've heard it announced on the radio that there is a plane departing from NI to Thailand next week to be full of emergency supplies.

They have asked for donations of SUMMER clothing to include underwear for all sizes/ages of children, for men and for women.

They also need shoes/sandals and personal hygiene items such as sanitary towels.

The organisers have asked that items be packed in any size box, contents listed on the outside, and the box sealed.

The collection point is:

St Patrick's Church, Church Square, Banbridge.
Tel: 40622744

Banbridge is very easy to find, just off the A1 between Belfast and Newry. It is very well signposted.

This plane is going anyway, it may as well go fully laden.

Comments

• Wishfairy
    Options
    Thanks Snowy - I'll make sure there's a box full goes from us.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello All

I've just got back from Banbridge.

In the place where boxes are left I noticed a sign saying "no shoes". Sorry for any confusion.

They are emphasising the need for underwear for adults and children, and for sanitary towels.

I popped into Tesco in Banbridge on the way back - they are also collecting items, though I think they are suggesting people purchase things from the store and then donate them. On the way back home I realised that if this is the case then they are still getting their profit....I wish I had asked for the manager and strongly suggested to him/her that each donation purchased in the store is either matched in cash or matched with the same item by Tesco, therefore they don't (or to a lesser degree) profit from this tragedy.

It's too far to go back now, I think I will ring them up, but if you happen to go in maybe you would consider mentioning it?

Thanks.

SnowyO
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In Tesco in Ards shopping centre, the security guard is collecting from customers as they leave the store.

This evening they announced that the total collected yesterday and today was £5,000 :)

......But there was no mention of Tesco making any contribution ::)

Pink
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all - just visiting ;D

I think this is a great idea. Many people I know (even tho they have donated cash) would probably spend far more on an aid parcel as they know this will ALL go where it's needed, whereas with cash some is taken up in admin fees.

I have donated cash but if they were doing this in my area I would donate goods as well. :)
    Mink
  • criminal_smile
    Options
    I've heard it announced on the radio that there is a plane departing from NI to Thailand next week to be full of emergency supplies.

They have asked for donations of SUMMER clothing to include underwear for all sizes/ages of children, for men and for women.  

They also need shoes/sandals and personal hygiene items such as sanitary towels.

The organisers have asked that items be packed in any size box, contents listed on the outside, and the box sealed.

The collection point is:

St Patrick's Church, Church Square, Banbridge.
    Tel:  40622744

Banbridge is very easy to find, just off the A1 between Belfast and Newry.  It is very well signposted.

This plane is going anyway, it may as well go fully laden.

Snowyowl, have you any idea when this plane is going? I'll be passing Banbridge on my way to Newry on Saturday morning 08/01/05, and do so most Saturday mornings. While I won't be able to take masses of stuff, I'm quite happy to fill the car on the way down. If anyone wants to send a package etc down, they can pm me to arrange collection/delivery. I live in Dunmurry, so anyone around that area would be ideal. Alternatively, I work in Belfast city centre, and can collect some stuff there.
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plane goes tomorrow, Thursday, but I am sure they intend to have another flight.
  • criminal_smile
    Options
    No problem..... If you do hear of another being organised, then the offer still stands. I'll check back from time to time to see what's happening.
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
  • BowlingforsoupNI
    Options
    They are collecting at Drummaul Church Hall, Church Road Randalstown, two lorry loads went tonight with two more leaving next week.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all

I heard today that there will be more planes going out over the next week or two. I'll double check the collection/ drop off details and get back to you tomorrow (Friday) with whatever details I find out.

SnowyOwl.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Criminal_smile, two more planes are booked for next week. So if you leave your stuff off at Banbridge on Saturday I'm sure it will be gratefully received.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure