Parking at work can anyone advise

Options
HI not sure if anyone can advise but I have a situation at work and didnt know if anyone had more knowledge than me and could advise . When I started my job 9 years ago we had parking and work shifts so great if finishing at unsocial hours . Now we have reduced parking and everyone is fighting for spaces they have decided that we either have to live a certain distance from the building or disabilities , illness etc . Now this wouldnt be so bad but a lot of us due to some start times cannot get the easiest public transport and have to take multiple buses to get there for early morning starts . Thus making our journey to work double or more in time . Also when leaving late at night it is not so nice to be walking around at those times . Due to where we are there is little or no street parking and what there is is some distance to walk again posing a safety risk .
Our workforce is now divided into the ones that have the parking and ones that dont - also the ones that dont are worse off as have to pay for public transport and have longer days of work due to the travelling . In a nutshell I guess what I am asking is this ok are they allowed to do this . It is making life so difficult for some that they have left . Thanks in advance for any answers

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    HI not sure if anyone can advise but I have a situation at work and didnt know if anyone had more knowledge than me and could advise . When I started my job 9 years ago we had parking and work shifts so great if finishing at unsocial hours . Now we have reduced parking and everyone is fighting for spaces they have decided that we either have to live a certain distance from the building or disabilities , illness etc . Now this wouldnt be so bad but a lot of us due to some start times cannot get the easiest public transport and have to take multiple buses to get there for early morning starts . Thus making our journey to work double or more in time . Also when leaving late at night it is not so nice to be walking around at those times . Due to where we are there is little or no street parking and what there is is some distance to walk again posing a safety risk .
    Our workforce is now divided into the ones that have the parking and ones that dont - also the ones that dont are worse off as have to pay for public transport and have longer days of work due to the travelling . In a nutshell I guess what I am asking is this ok are they allowed to do this . It is making life so difficult for some that they have left . Thanks in advance for any answers
    Sorry but there is no right to parking at work, and if the employer provides it, then they can set any rules that they like.
  • pioneer22
    Options
    The company cares about what you do during your working hours and how you get there or back isn't there concern I'm afraid.

Unless there is something in your contract there isn't much you can do.

Perhaps you could ask your employer to get a deal with a local car park?
  • Diamandis
    Options
    There is no obligation for them to provide parking spaces. If they don't have enough spaces for everyone there isn't much they can do.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Could you suggest to them that they set up a car pooling scheme? Alternatively, they could provide parking for people who will drive others to and from a convenient local (within a mile or two?) parking point.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If the employees got together and proposed a different system that they would like there is a fair chance it would be agreed to. Perhaps priority for any employees who could arrange car shares?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Unless there is something in your contract to state that parking is provided there's nothing you can do even if they say they are closing the car park completely.
    The alternative to a distance based system, which can be very unfair, is to implement a rota so that everybody gets parking some of the time. Then at least the pain is shared more equally. We had a rota system last place I worked and it operated pretty well. When it was first brought in some of the 'old hands' kicked off, trying to claim that any system should be based on seniority and length of employment. They didn't get that and the fuss soon blew over.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you are on a business park, see if you can pay to use another company's ground?

I can sympathise - though I recently had the opposite, the lack of car parking or cost of parking recently for a town centre business as one especially not served by a park and ride did just make me decide to turn down an interview. To be honest one company I'd have to turn up hours in advance before starting, I was pretty glad it was temporary.
    I also recently went for a job where the benefit was actually "car parking" to find it was more double parking!

Other then ask your company to treat Parkers in accordance with length of service as an idea, again a couple of places I have been in have worked of this, like others have said it isn't a right.

Sadly the parking difficulties are not the best answer for why do you want to leave (this I do know from history)
  • Thank you everyone for your responses I thought as much just thought I would pose the question . I did initially have something in my contract that I needed to live a certain distance and time from work but I can only find part of the information not the actually requirements . I did offer to car share but it was turned down and that was me taking 4 other people who live near me . It is the security issue to be honest some of us leave at 1 or 2 am and it is not the best area . The distance is what they have gone with although our dept seems to of gone over what everyone else is saying is acceptable . never mind thanks anyway .
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    What happened to the parking?

Parking is just another element of the employment package.

In some sectors lack of parking would mean lack of workers.
  • What happened to the parking?

Parking is just another element of the employment package.

In some sectors lack of parking would mean lack of workers.

We have reduced land and it has been sold
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport