Civil service process

Options

Comments

• Tango25
    Tango25 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I've been placed on a reserve list, but as I applied for a SEO grade position, is there any likelihood that I will be offered a position?

I'm very disappointed by this news. I feel really messed around given I paid £300 in train fare to interview in London to then see they interviewed from Manchester 2 weeks later. I was then requested to submit all of my ID etc 7 weeks after the interview to be told I'm not even getting an offer.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would seem you are potential SEO material, but not one of the best interviewed. The answer to your question is possibly.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    There are obviously fewer SEO grades than those of lower grades so you may be waiting some time. It also depends on the geographical area, staff turnover levels etc. You don't mention which part of the Civil Service you have applied for. If it's DWP there may be more opportunities due to a new working hours contract being forced on staff.
  • Tango25
    Tango25 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Im only looking in the North West, relocation isn't an option
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A colleague of mine is working her notice to take up a civil service position, she was interviewed last summer and waited about 2 months to hear back from them. She then had to get documents to them for security and has only just got security clearance and a start date. The whole process started last August and she will start mid June .. seems a long drawn out process for a very junior position.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    sillyvixen wrote: »
    The whole process started last August and she will start mid June .. seems a long drawn out process for a very junior position.

DWP in general, and DWP HR in particular, aren't noted for the speed or efficiency. That said it's better that the security checks are done before a person actually starts the job. Without clearance they would be sat twiddling their thumbs most of the time as any information relating to customers / claimants is classed as sensitive.
    I am aware of situations where apprentices / fixed term contract staff were started without clearance and then had to be removed from the premises when they failed the checks.
  • haraltremorian
    Options
    Just been posted as Reserve SEO but there was only one post so not sure what happens now. It was a very technical role so hopefully they will not drop me into a Ops role managing loads of staff.

What does it all mean!
    Debt Free - 21st April 09
  • Madmonkey999
    Options
    I was told i was successful at sheffield home office. (AO) however I have been put on a reserve list. Why do they do this? Should I be worried??

Thank you :
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was told i was successful at sheffield home office. (AO) however I have been put on a reserve list. Why do they do this? Should I be worried??

Thank you :

It means that you were good enough for a job BUT there were other better qualified candidates than you, so they got the job(s).
    As you are on the reserve list you have a chance of being recruited BUT I would also recommend that you look for other jobs in the meantime as the Civil Service Recruitment process can be sloooooooow.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    antonic wrote: »
    It means that you were good enough for a job BUT there were other better qualified candidates than you, so they got the job(s).

It isn't necessarily indicative of LFC's season...

It could merely mean that they are figuring out where to put OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure