MSE News: Waitrose to get rid of disposable cups - if you're a MyWaitrose customer, you'll need to b

Options
Waitrose will be removing takeaway coffee cups from all of its stores by autumn - if you're a MyWaitrose customer you'll need to take your own cup to get your free hot drink
Read the full story:
'Waitrose to get rid of disposable cups - if you're a MyWaitrose customer, you'll need to bring your own'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• keithamara
    keithamara Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We live in Cornwall and our nearest Waitrose is 30 miles away. We used to go fairly regularly and always used the Pick your Own offers. Waitrose have taken that away now. Okay, I totally understand the reasoning for getting rid of disposable cups - well done Waitrose - but they are also stopping free coffees from their Cafes (don't know about the bakeries) . The email I received said it's because they are giving their Partners Barista training (don't they already have that?) and they are going to use higher quality coffee!!! Mmmmm... I expect if they polled their customers they would prefer "untrained" Baristas (although they all seem fairly competent to me) and the coffee they serve is pretty good as it stands.
    So I've lost my Pick" offers, I've lost my free Cafe drinks and therefore the 60 mile round drive seems a bit poiintless now. Bye bye Waitrose
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Likewise.

Waitrose is grossly overpriced by comparison with Aldi and Lidl (both of whom provide much the same things for at least a third less) and the little extras that Waitrose used to provide (20% discount on MyWaitrose - gone, free coffee in cafes - gone, free newspaper - doubtless going) were about the only reason for carrying on with them.

John Lewis has had it - Waitrose can't compete any more, and neither can the stores. Customer service used to maintain John Lewis, but that's long gone:

This is about as bad as it can get: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.johnlewis.com)

What's left to keep them going?
  • keithamara
    keithamara Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know why Waitrose can't be upfront and honest by saying they just can't afford to do it anymore. Do they think their customers are so gullible to fall for this pathetic line? How dare they call this exciting news!
    What about the tea drinkers? I assume that Waitrose will be allowing them to have a free tea as the improved barista service and coffee beans won't be effecting them at all! Probably not!!
    And how is this going to work? Anyone can walk in with their own cup and fill up. Or are you going to be given a token with your purchase? Does this mean new machines? Or a member of staff making your coffee for you? I think not.
    Please Waitrose just be honest with your customers!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Likewise.

Snobbery. Not everyone shops on price and some people seem to prefer the curious concept of things being 'reassuringly expensive'.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 April 2018 at 5:46PM
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Snobbery. Not everyone shops on price and some people seem to prefer the curious concept of things being 'reassuringly expensive'.

Yet when I compare brand promotions between the supermarkets - Waitrose offers seem cheaper. In comparison to M&S and Tesco they are cheaper on some lines. Certainly their final reductions are often as cheap if not cheaper than some Tesco stores.

I agree with Doc N on customer service - they have lost their edge when it some to customer service - staff no longer seem as helpful nor proactive.

BTW, when I was at one of the large Waitose stores last week, I heard a mature partner complain about her wages in comparison to her son's. She had worked at the store for nearly a decade, and her son had recently started in a similar role at Morrisons and was earning more!
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • bjreeve
    bjreeve Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    why are there two threads on this, surely the original one would have sufficed!
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    The shopping experience?

My local Aldi and Lidl are always crowded with messy looking stores. Perfectly functional, but not pleasant. Waitrose is always empty with tidy shelves and no boxes/trollies being left in the aisles.

Checkouts are rushed, whereas Waitrose is slower. Never had to wait more than a few seconds in Waitrose for a checkout operator to serve me, in Aldi/Lidl, there can easily be five or six customers ahead of you.

Similarly, they choose a "certain type" of staff member in Waitrose. I always get called "Sir" in Waitrose. Never in any other shop. Generally staff in Aldi and Lidl are polite, but you do get a different service in Waitrose.
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    I shop quite often in Waitrose, as it is the closest store to my home. The drink and paper are both things I like, preferring to read real paper now and again. The offers can be excellent, and suit me, as a single person, who is able to be very flexible. They employ a young man with Down's, and some other people with disabilities, and staff seem well-trained in general.
    This doesn't mean I don't use other shops, I do, and would plan far more if I had to buy for others, and probably stick to a list in Aldi or Lidl. However, for now, Waitrose doesn't really cost me more.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I the only one amused by Waitrose's continual struggle to reduce the cost of this promotion? I get the feeling they're desperate to find a reason to end it without being pilloried!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »

Exactly, it's why I won't stoop down to Waitrose, it's so common compared to Booth's
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure