Making Money via Cashback on CCs?

Options
Hi All,

I've never made any money on cashback when paying for items, I have a number of big ticket items to be paid for coming up and I usually pay via my debit card. Am I missing a trick here and should I use a cashback credit card, if so what one?

Comments

• tonycottee
    tonycottee Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    Any takers on this?

Hi Cotta.

I have a Nationwide credit card, but the cashback was recently reduced to 0.25%.
    Amazon also offers a credit card. This is 0.5%, but you get more when shopping at Amazon. Plus, I think you can get an Amazon voucher for joining.

Nationwide pays your earnings onto your card in December.
    Amazon pays your earnings in the form of gift cards. They are paid into your Amazon account when you reach at least £10.

Natwest has a card that pays 0.5%. There is an annual fee of £24, but it's free if you have their reward current account.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    0.25% does not perhaps sound worthwhile, is there nothing else that would offer a viable alternative?
  • t1redmonkey
    t1redmonkey Posts: 788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely try and get an American Express card. I was in a similar situation to you a few months ago (needed to buy a new front and back door for my house), and the company I was using to buy them from accepted Amex.

So I applied for one of their cards, which offered 5% cashback on the first £2000 of purchases you make in the first 3 months of getting the card (max of £100 cashback), and have already reached that target thanks to that purchase.

I also used to stick with using my debit card everywhere, but now realize I missed out on a lot of free money by not getting a cashback credit card!
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've never made any money on cashback when paying for items, I have a number of big ticket items to be paid for coming up and I usually pay via my debit card. Am I missing a trick here and should I use a cashback credit card, if so what one?

I've just been looking into this and the Tandem Bank CC pays 0.5% cashback. This appeals to me, as does the lack of non-sterling transaction fee when using it abroad.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cashback sites (topcashback/quidco) should be the first port of call and you can probably combine the spending with a cashback card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure