Bursary for Access Course to Nursing.

Options
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has any information on any kind of Bursary that my partner may be eligible for if she does an access to Higher Education course for Nursing?

She currently works and picks up a steady wage but she wants to better herself and after researching the education she wants to do nursing. She has done all the applying etc and long story short she has to do an access to HE course.

The problem is she has just told me there is no bursary or loan to assist with living expenses meaning that we wouldnt be able to afford the bills.

Is this correct or is there another avenue she could take, I will feel terrible if she cannot fulfill her dream because we would be £200 a month short just for one year.

Any advise much appreciated.
:j

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Most access courses are available on a part-time basis. She could do it that way and continue to work, or work on reduced hours. It isn't a year really, since it's September until perhaps June (depending on when the course actually finishes - some are effectively finished as early as May).

If it's only £200 per month, could you not cut back on things for that length of time?
  • tawecdl
    tawecdl Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Most access courses are available on a part-time basis. She could do it that way and continue to work, or work on reduced hours. It isn't a year really, since it's September until perhaps June (depending on when the course actually finishes - some are effectively finished as early as May).

If it's only £200 per month, could you not cut back on things for that length of time?

Thank you for your response. We are already struggling financially hence why she wants to better herself.

I will check about part time. I just thought there was a loan or bursary to help her get into Higher Education.

It is literally a case of if there is no funding she cant afford to do the course which is a crying shame in this day and age with the reduction in nurses atm.
  • tawecdl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 August 2018 at 12:53PM
    Options
    update, this is part time 2 days college and home study on top but working 3 shifts a week would put us £200 pcm short.

If she can't do it she can't do it, end of story but I am just trying every avenue to make it happen.

Maybe we should just save for 4 to 5 years and then she could afford it, but she would be knocking on 35 then lol (don't tell her I said that)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can't cut back so that you need £200 less each month could you do some extra work to cover the shortfall? So far you seem to be putting the onus on her to make it up, but I'm sure she would appreciate your support to help her achieve her goals.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 August 2018 at 1:18PM
    Options
    There is a loan scheme called the Advanced Learner Loan which covers this sort of course. It pays for the course and then there are bursaries that go with it to help pay expenses. The loan is not repayable if you get the degree afterwards.

Look it up, ask the college. Don't give up.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    The loan is not repayable if you get the degree afterwards.

Look it up

"Repayments
    You!!!8217;ll have to pay your loan back when both the following apply:

you!!!8217;ve finished your course
    you earn more than £25,000 a year"
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • tawecdl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    If you can't cut back so that you need £200 less each month could you do some extra work to cover the shortfall? So far you seem to be putting the onus on her to make it up, but I'm sure she would appreciate your support to help her achieve her goals.

I could potentially look for some evening part time week work I guess, I currently work full time 8-6 monday to friday and have my children friday to sunday.

I did look into courier work but apparently it only pays off if you work more than 8hr shifts. If i did pick up extra work it would literally be max 8 hours per week which I cant see putting me over the £200 mark but I appreciate your advice and I will look into other ideas.
  • tawecdl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    There is a loan scheme called the Advanced Learner Loan which covers this sort of course. It pays for the course and then there are bursaries that go with it to help pay expenses. The loan is not repayable if you get the degree afterwards.

Look it up, ask the college. Don't give up.

This is what I thought and still think but apparently this is only for University not College? can anybody elaborate?
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    if it's two days a week that leaves five in which to earn
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Advanced learner loans are not for university courses, that!!!8217;s a different funding system altogether.

Look at this and check with the college...

Eligibility

Whether you qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan depends on your:

course
    college or training provider
    If your course started before 1 August 2016
    You must have been 24 or older on the first day of your course.

Your course must be:

a Level 3 or 4 qualification, for example A Levels
    at an approved college or training provider in England
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills