back dated child support

Options
My son is now 26, but my husband left us when he was 12. Due to his irresponsiblity and drug abuse we lost our home and I have had to work full time to support ourselves not receiving any money from him at all. He was unemployed and of no fixed abode so there was no point in trying to claim anything from him

I have now been made redundant and am living solely on my pension now. All those years working full time would have ensured me a much better financial backing if I had received help.

My son still lives with me, and although he is now adult, I still have to help him sometimes.

My ex seems to have more money nowadays, but is reluctant to help even his son.

My question is can child support be claimed backdated by this many years

Comments

• HoneyNutLoop
    HoneyNutLoop Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No. If you didn’t claim at the time you can’t retrospectively claim now. As your son is 26, you have missed your opportunity to claim child maintenance for him.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    No, but you could use an online calculator to see what benefits you might be entitled to.
  • Bee_Happy
    Options
    You must have made a claim at the time through the CSA system to be able to backdate. If you didn!!!8217;t then the answer is no unfortunately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure