MSE Poll: Energy smart meters: What's your view?

Options

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never undertood the hesitation in getting a smart meter because it will revert to a dumb meter if you switch.

What do folk think they have got anyway?
    Because it is a waste of money and resources. Even if not your own money, directly, if's still a waste.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    stevemul wrote: »
    You are all missing the obvious point!
    Energy Companies are never going to reduce their profits and therefore their shareholder dividends. If consumers use less, they will raise prices and reduce their output to increase profits each year to maintain and/or increase their share price. This is the principle of the stock market. It is naive to think that by reducing your consumption you will reduce your annual cost.
    Without wanting to stick up for the free-market too much, if usage went down then the energy company's costs would go down, so the total amount they bill could come down and their profit would remain the same.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The only function which is of any use on my "Smart Meters" is the automatic meter readings and sending to the energy company.

The hand-held display device is quite pathetic...
  • mickjudge64
    Options
    I'm really unsure about smart meters. I use to manage a large office building which had hourly meter readings & the unit charge varied from hour to hour. I can't help thinking that if most of us had smart meters then the could do similar for domestic rates
  • margaret_eyles
    margaret_eyles Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 March 2018 at 12:56PM
    Options
    Felt pressured to have a smart meter, yes it provides meter readings to save me doing this but I understood it would be a permanent live display so say if someone plugged in a heater it would show immediately on the display so we could work out what was costing us a lot & so make savings - this (Ovo Smart Meter) does not have this facility - if I had known this I would not have taken the day off to have this installed. I dont really feel I have benefitted from this meter. I understand from Ovo however this maybecome a future option.
  • brutus6
    brutus6 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair I made a mistake. Got a SMET1 - didn't realise it wouldn't be compatible with other providers. Now too late. It's not the fact that since switching it's nolonger a smart meter that is my problem. It's that it is harder to read than a normal meter. I have to press a number of what seem like random buttons to get to the right screen and tehn read the right part.

My fault really. I sshould have done my research.
  • red47baron
    Options
    Everyone has missed the point with smart meters, the reason the energy companies like them is if you are more than 28 days late in paying the bill they can change you onto a pay as you go tariff remotely without going to court to get permission to change the meter whether you like it or not ( if you do not pay the pay as you go charges you are deemed to have cut yourself off not the energy company) thus saving them a fortune. Or just cut you off if you are a business customer.
  • NinjaPenguin
    Options
    I like the initial idea behind smart meters, no more estimated bills, no more meter reader knocking on your door when you're sleeping off nights etc. The issue is, however, when it come to changing suppliers.

I had smart meters fitted from British Gas, all fine & dandy. Then I switched to Sainsburys energy which is part of British Gas, so there was still no problem. When it came time to switch again, I looked for a company that supported smart meters, and settled on First Utility. At no point during the switch was I made aware that my smart meters would now become dumb meters.
    The first I knew that my meter wasn't compatible, was when I contacted First Utility to find out why they kept asking for meter readings when I have a smart meter.

I would have though that, since it was a government plan to roll out smart meters, they would have ensured that they were all standard, or at least compatible. I should have known better.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2018 at 6:01PM
    Options
    I didn't vote because there aren't any relevant options. I don't want one because:

a) They're a waste of consumers money
    b) I don't want any potential unreliability
    c) I don't need a smart meter to tell me where most energy goes
    d) I don't want them changing the tariff according to demand
    the unit charge varied from hour to hour.
    Once the unit price depends on demand it will become virtually impossible to compare prices and find the cheapest supplier.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Why isn't the option given that people know about the energy companies not being able to use different energy companies smart meters, so if you have one installed by one company you're stuck with them or back to square one.

I don't trust energy companies, they were privatised by the conservatives to make more money and rip people off - as usual, so why would I trust a bunch of thieves?

I also believe smart meters are a con, what else can they do - listen into private conversations etc? They're a health risk.

No investigation has been done about the health risks - are more people getting ill with cancer? That's a big yes, something is causing that. Again no investigations. I wonder why. You cannot fight these big companies, they are allowed to get away with murder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure