PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ok... I have been able to check - my new jacket cost 11 coupons, which brings my total spend to 34/66, leaving 32 left to spend. At least the jacket passes the !!!8220;must go in 3 outfits!!!8221; rule. It looks great with jeans.

No more shopping for me for a while, unless it is in charity shops/second hand.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Noodle99
    Noodle99 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for letting me join in! So far this year I've bought two pairs of tights (2 coupons each pair) and a pair of walking type shoes (5 coupons), and also (from a charity shop) a pair of brand new boots (still with tags on), as they are new I feel I should count them, so another 5, so for this year I think I'm at 14.
  • RicardaRacoon
    RicardaRacoon Posts: 351 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2018 at 8:25PM
    Options
    Welcome, Noodle!

My coupons are all still firmly inside my ration book... Weren't they actually the unused margarine coupons when they were first introduced to keep it all a secret until the last possible moment to prevent people from stocking up beforehands?

My plan is to tidy out my wardrobe tomorrow or on Saturday and see what I actually have for spring. I know that I will need a pair of ballet flats as last years one are starting to get a bit thin around the edges. So that is 5 points budgeted on that. I also assume I will need a blouse or two.
    I nearly went out to buy some nice spring shoes last week when the weather was so nice and I felt like spring. Told myself though that I have enough shoes, not too spring like ones as they are all black or brown, but still decent footware...

I didn't even bought yarn so far... I will soon though but to knit a poncho for a friend and I am assuming that she bought the yarn with her coupons and I will knit it up for her. I will also "cheat" with charity knitting yarn, I still have loads but in case I'll need some more I will pretend to knit socks for soldiers or stuff for bombed out kids with yarn that is provided by whoever organised charity knitting... So basically as long I knit for others I get coupon-free yarn :-)
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't fully understand exactly what you're trying to do, but would unravelling a knitted garment, washing the wool to get the kinks out, drying it wound 'wide' on a frame (dining chair back or dining chair legs if chair is upside down on a table) then re-winding it, give you knitting wool to re work in the manner of how people managed clothes rationing? Therefore, you re-use an old garment (or buy it from a charity shop (they used to go to second hand clothing stores such as run by the Salvation Army)) and work with far fewer points.
    Oh and your lining for your coat may have been made from a pair of pyjamas. (Family story).
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    kathrynha wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for getting food stains out, especially ones that have already remained after washing and drying?

I try to deal with them with warm water in the ladies as soon as they happen. I'd rather have a damp spot on my bust for 40 minutes than a food stain for the rest of the day, even if the damp spot is bigger :D

I find most things come out with no extra product if you get at them immediately. If it was something like mayo it may need some soap though.
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    Topher wrote: »
    I don't fully understand exactly what you're trying to do, but would unravelling a knitted garment, washing the wool to get the kinks out, drying it wound 'wide' on a frame (dining chair back or dining chair legs if chair is upside down on a table) then re-winding it, give you knitting wool to re work in the manner of how people managed clothes rationing? Therefore, you re-use an old garment (or buy it from a charity shop (they used to go to second hand clothing stores such as run by the Salvation Army)) and work with far fewer points.
    Oh and your lining for your coat may have been made from a pair of pyjamas. (Family story).

I still recycle yarn this way. My favourite cardigan is knitted up in yarn that I rescued from a jumper I crocheted in the 1980’s. The yarn is 30 years old and still going strong. (I barely wore the jumper. It was terribly fashionable in 1987 and aged badly. The cardigan is now 9 years old and gets worn frequently.)

Please tell the lining story. Please!

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    My mum regularly recycled wool this way. These days there are far fewer hand knitted jumpers, I never see them in charity shops.

I'd like to hear the lining story too, please!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Beside fruit juice dripping over my clothes (peaches are the worst...) I have managed to get almost everyhing out with rinsing it as soon as possible, or soaking, or dishsoap, or a combination of all of that... Even that massive amount of oily salad dressing on a light blue blouse came off.
    Topher wrote: »

Yes that would work. Basically as long the yarn / fabric isn't new it is free of points. My problem is that there are very few charity shops around here to find jumpers to unravel. But I don't intend to knit much for myself this year and for the few things I plan on knitting I have the yarn already. So most of my knitting this year will be for charity, so I assume I knit socks for soldiers and don't have to use my points on that yarn....
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »

Please tell the lining story. Please!

- Pip
    Truly sorry but I won't in so many words, just imagine a communal effort (assembling a lining fabricated from said pyjamas at a sewing class), a mayors banquet, a helpful diner pulling a loose thread (you remember tacking?) ..........
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Ok... I have been able to check - my new jacket cost 11 coupons, which brings my total spend to 34/66, leaving 32 left to spend. At least the jacket passes the !!!8220;must go in 3 outfits!!!8221; rule. It looks great with jeans.

No more shopping for me for a while, unless it is in charity shops/second hand.

- Pip
    Err..... Make that 30 coupons. I’ve spent 2 more on yarn. Good yarn, mind you: it’s Regia, but I didn’t need it.

I am hopeless - a couple of weeks ago, Hobbycraft accidentally mailed birthday vouchers to all their craft-club members. (You get a £5 voucher on your birthday. ). Although they never said they were going to cancel them, I thought I’d better use mine in case they did. This morning, I visited my local store to check out the yarn.

< rant alert >

I have never felt so depressed. Excluding the Regia and a small display of cotton, they had absolutely nothing that wasn’t primarily acrylic. The highest wool content I saw was 20%! And most of the acrylic crap was not cheap, averaging £5 for 50g. I can buy pure wool OFF THEIR OWN WEBSITE for less than that! For example, Hobbycraft’s website is currently selling West Yorkshire Spinners Illustrious DK Yarn at £9.90 per 100g. It’’s pure wool, spun in Yorkshire. Their website contains a full range of woollen yarns - I’ve just checked - but none are available “in store” for you to handle, compare the colours etc. Instead, they reinforce the myth that knitting with good yarns is expensive. It’s not. I can knit a jumper in quality 4-ply, to fit me (size 14 with a huge bust), for less than £20.

< / rant over >

I am a numpty, though. I didn’t think to check exactly how much I’d been charged last time to get my ordered-off-the-website yarn delivered to their store and mis-remembered it at £5 (it wasn’t. It was £1). Thinking delivery to their store was extortionate at £5, I bought the Regia in-store instead of buying the one-extra-ball-I-might-need-for something-that-is-already-in my-queue off their website. I’d still have spent the 2 coupons, though, since what I really wanted comes in 100g balls.

Harrumph!

- Pip. (How’re your coupons holding up?)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure