Major problems with employer and pay

Options
shellsuit
shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've a query for a (young and very naive!) friend.

They've been working for same employer/small firm for between 1 and 2 years.

They've always paid the same round figure each month of £1000.

Employer says at the end of March, good news, I'm putting your wages up £100 a month! Rate of pay went up last month anyway! :mad:

They work 37.5 hours a week, just turned 22.

They've never received a wage slip.

Not received p60 this year as of yet.

They have taken holidays and have been paid for them (well, have still been paid that round figure each month they've taken a weeks holiday) so employer can't claim they're S/E.

I told them they were being underpaid so they queried it and again they were just given another round figure, which still isn't right. They can't have had their tax and NI paid for them if they're getting the same figure each month.

I'm tearing my hair out, trying to get them to sort this out but they're working for a friends firm so they don't want to rock the boat and have a fall out.

I've suggested they go in and ask for all their past wage slips and their p60 to see where they can go from there, but can anyone think of anything else I can suggest to them please?

I make it that their top line should be £1199.25 a month since April (age 22 £7.38hr).

Last year their top line should have been (age 21 £7.05hr) £1145.60 a month.

Please correct me if I'm missing something or have those calculations wrong.
Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Are they definitely being paid monthly and not 4 weekly.
  • shellsuit
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Are they definitely being paid monthly and not 4 weekly.

Definitely, they get paid on the last working day of each month.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are they apprenticed/ trainee?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • shellsuit
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Are they apprenticed/ trainee?

No, nothing like that.
  • Madbags
    Madbags Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    If they're being paid £1,100 per month into their bank from April and they are on a 1185L tax code I'd say their pay is near enough correct this year but I haven't included any pensions into that.

Top line should be about £1199.25 but bottom line is around £1,097 per month this year for a 22 year old on 37.5 hours per week.

No payslips or P60 is bad news and it doens't sound like they are adhering to any automatic enrolment scheme as they are now old enough to be enrolled unless they have been postponed for 3 months? Depends when turned 22.

It does however look like perhaps last tax year they were underpaid though. Bottom line in 17-18 for a 22/21 year old should have been around £1,050 take home.
  • shellsuit
    Options
    Madbags wrote: »
    If they're being paid £1,100 per month into their bank from April and they are on a 1185L tax code I'd say their pay is near enough correct this year but I haven't included any pensions into that.

Top line should be about £1199.25 but bottom line is around £1,097 per month this year for a 22 year old on 37.5 hours per week.

No payslips or P60 is bad news and it doens't sound like they are adhering to any automatic enrolment scheme as they are now old enough to be enrolled unless they have been postponed for 3 months? Depends when turned 22.

It does however look like perhaps last tax year they were underpaid though. Bottom line in 17-18 for a 22/21 year old should have been around £1,050 take home.

Don't know what tax code he's on with not having wage slips. He's entitled to the extra for washing works own uniform too.

He was 22 last week.

Calculators have all said £1052 take home per month for last year after tax and NI.
    Problem is, I doubt the tax and NI have been taken out with him receiving that nice round same figure each month :undecided
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get them to register for a personal tax account (https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account)
    and see if the employer is reporting anything about tax and NI there.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • shellsuit
    Options
    ceh209 wrote: »
    Get them to register for a personal tax account (https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account)
    and see if the employer is reporting anything about tax and NI there.

I'll do that, I think they may already have a government gateway account but it's like getting blood out of a stone because of their ties to their employer :whistle:

I don't think they realise how serious this could be, not just because of the money, but because of the missing paperwork, tax and NI issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport