To tart or not?

Options
Divorcing
Divorcing Posts: 81 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi all

Could I get some help calculating whether it would work out better to tart some of my loan debt as I'm not very good calculating apr etc.

The loan is currently just over £6,500 with 3% APR and I'm paying just over £170/month so have just under 4 years left.

I've just balance transferred some CC debt to 0% but there is £2,500 available for money transfer with a fee of 4% so £100. I'd be able to pay this all off in the remaining 0% period.

Woild it be worth my while, ie: cheaper in the long run, for me to pay £2,500 off the loan bearing the fee in mind. I should add there a no penalties for early repayment of the loan.

Thank you for reading

D

Comments

• DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can't quite get the numbers to work given your details (£6,500 loan with 3% APR over 4years is around £140per month), but nevertheless I think the saving works out at around £200, so even with the £100 fee for the transfer I think you will save money.

However, how mention you will be able to pay off the whole CC debt within the 0% period, so presumably this is less than the 4years that the loan has to run? In which case, your monthly amount towards debts would increase.

Could you not just direct this increase to additional monthly overpayments on your 3% loan? It's hard to know for sure without concrete numbers, but I suspect it would work out about the same net saving (i.e. saving in interest by overpaying would be equivalent to the cost of moving £2,500 to 0% CC minus the transfer fee).
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would over pay the loan rather than Money Transfer £2.5K - make the loan term shorter and you will save the most on interest.

If the loan interest rate was high single or double figures then it would be a good idea to over pay.
  • Divorcing
    Options
    Thank you, I think increasing the loan payments is the way to go just in case of change of circumstance where I couldn't afford the fixed minimum loan payment and the what would be increased credit card payment.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,637 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another vote for overpaying the loan providing there are no penalties. If you money transfer you will have the fee to pay so any savings on interest given the loan is on a low rate will be wiped out for that and should you not clear in the deal period you run the risk of it going up to a ver6 high rate if your circumstances change and you can't get another deal. I would set your credit card repayment to the right amount to clear the card within the 0% deal period and put any spare money you have towards overpaying the loan.

What makes loans expensive usually is taking them out over a long period. It is better to pay a higher monthly payment to get it cleared in as short a time period as possible. You pay less interest that way.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure