Personal Loan Agreements between friends

Options

Comments

• Hard_food_for_midas
    Options
    Ok. How about this: Agreement Between Friends?

AGREEMENT BETWEEN FRIENDS
    THIS AGREEMENT dated this 8th day of October, 2013

BETWEEN:
    XXXX

(the "lender")
    OF THE FIRST PART
    AND
    XXXX

(the "Borrower")
    OF THE SECOND PART
    IN CONSIDERATION OF the Lender loaning certain monies (the "Loan") to the Borrower, and the Borrower repaying the Loan to the Lender, both parties agree to keep, perform and fulfil the promises and conditions set out in this Agreement:
    Loan Amount
    1. The Lender promises to loan £XXXX GBP to the Borrower and the Borrower promises to repay this principal amount to the Lender, at such address as may be provided in writing.
    2. Payment
    2. This Loan will be repaid in full eighteen (18) months from the execution of this Loan, however a review of this agreement will be carried out on or before the 7th April, 2014.
    3. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, if the Borrower defaults in the performance of any obligation under this Agreement, then the Lender may declare the principal amount owing under this Agreement at that time to be immediately due and payable.
    Governing Law
    4. This Agreement will be construed in accordance with and governed by the laws of Country of England.
    Costs
    5. All costs, expenses and expenditures including, without limitation, the complete legal costs incurred by enforcing this Agreement as a result of any default by the Borrower, will be added to the principal then outstanding and will immediately be paid by the Borrower.
    Binding Effect
    6. This Agreement will pass to the benefit of and be binding upon the respective heirs, executors, administrators, successors and permitted assigns of the Borrower and Lender. The Borrower waives presentment for payment, notice of non-payment, protest, and notice of protest.
    Amendments
    7. This Agreement may only be amended or modified by a written instrument executed by both the Borrower and the Lender.
    Severability
    8. The clauses and paragraphs contained in this Agreement are intended to be read and construed independently of each other. If any term, covenant, condition or provision of this Agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, void or unenforceable, it is the parties' intent that such provision be reduced in scope by the court only to the extent deemed necessary by that court to render the provision reasonable and enforceable and the remainder of the provisions of this Agreement will in no way be affected, impaired or invalidated as a result.
    General Provisions
    9. Headings are inserted for the convenience of the parties only and are not to be considered when interpreting this Agreement. Words in the singular mean and include the plural and vice versa. Words in the masculine mean and include the feminine and vice versa.
    Entire Agreement
    10. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties and there are no further items or provisions, either oral or otherwise.
    IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have duly affixed their signatures on this 8th day of October, 2013.
    SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVERED
    before me, this 8th day of October, 2013

SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVEREDbefore me, this 8th day of October, 2013
    XXXX
    per: ______________(SEAL)

Copyright 2002-2013, LegalComplete.co.uk
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're missing the point. Sign what you like with them, if they don't have the money, you won't get the money without a long and protracted legal battle. You would have to get a court order to put a claim onto their home, and it would be behind any mortgage debt, so forget that too. I say that because if they cannot obtain the finance they need by remortgaging their property, their personal debts are already such that there would be nothing left for you. If they tell you that isn't the problem, ask them why they aren't doing it themselves?

If they cannot get funding, there is a reason. Have you performed a proper review of the business? Seen the order book, looked at cashflow and projected revenues? If you can see a viable business, then so can a formal lender. Banks are lending, but viable business plans and investment are necessary.

I have a friend I've known for 30 years. She just came back from five weeks touring Europe with her family. Lots of stories about vineyards and fine cheese, and racks of smoked sausages etc. She has owed me hundreds for years now. I'll never see it, and I'll never lend her another penny.

Good luck
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • Hard_food_for_midas
    Options
    You're missing the point. Sign what you like with them, if they don't have the money, you won't get the money without a long and protracted legal battle. You would have to get a court order to put a claim onto their home, and it would be behind any mortgage debt, so forget that too. I say that because if they cannot obtain the finance they need by remortgaging their property, their personal debts are already such that there would be nothing left for you. If they tell you that isn't the problem, ask them why they aren't doing it themselves?

If they cannot get funding, there is a reason. Have you performed a proper review of the business? Seen the order book, looked at cashflow and projected revenues? If you can see a viable business, then so can a formal lender. Banks are lending, but viable business plans and investment are necessary.

I have a friend I've known for 30 years. She just came back from five weeks touring Europe with her family. Lots of stories about vineyards and fine cheese, and racks of smoked sausages etc. She has owed me hundreds for years now. I'll never see it, and I'll never lend her another penny.

Good luck

I genuinely thank everyone for their concern in the worst case scenario. I have absolutely no doubt that the loan will be repaid. This is not a typical situation and I am 99% sure I will not be back on this site in a year's time, crying help!

To be honest, in the past, we have leant each other money back and forth with verbal agreements and no problems (maybe I should have said this at the beginning) I just got shaken by the nightmares I read about on the other thread and as this is a large sum for me, I wanted to try and follow advice given on the other thread to give me extra peace of mind.
  • Hard_food_for_midas
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    No agreement you write down will be worth the paper it's printed on in reality. You may be able to sue them eventually through the court and you might even win, but extracting the money is another matter entirely.

Never lend money to friends unless you can afford to lose it. If you cant afford to lose it, dont lend it - it's as simple as that. I've lent money to 'friends' I've known for nearly 30 years and I'm still waiting for it to come back - it never will. Almost every one you ask will tell you exactly the same story, once lent, it is lost. I've almost never heard of an exception to that rule. We all make the mistake of thinking it will be different for us and our particular friends, but I've never heard of this working out...ever.

People told us never to buy a house together, but we did it many years ago and made a very handsome profit, so it's not always bad...
  • John1993_2
    John1993_2 Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    Options
    This seems to be the best option, thanks.

I'd agree with others that the best option is to not do this. I've lent a few times to friends/fami ly in recent years, and without fail it has wrecked a previously good relationship.

The last one was only a few hundred pounds, but it turned out that the cousin to whom I'd lent it had not been completely honest about what it was for, had relied on someone paying him back to be able to meet his "cast iron" promises to me, and so ended up paying very late. I am furious with him for having lied to me to get money, and he seems more than a bit unhapppy with me for having dared to want it all paid back when I'm far richer than he is.

Never again.
  • John1993_2
    John1993_2 Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    Options
    I genuinely thank everyone for their concern in the worst case scenario. I have absolutely no doubt that the loan will be repaid.

Then you are acting as a fool. There is no certainty in life, so you are not even going in to this with your eyes open.

You clearly have no interest in taking advice on board, however, so I'll step out of this thread, in despair.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    At least in your case the investment had some form of security - the house - that you sell on should it have gone wrong.. Here it is investing in a company - what is being put up as security..

The OP would be best placed to have some kind of agreement drawn up making him a shareholder in the company..

As it stands such an agreement would fall so far down the list of what could be claimed - even if were to push for some form of charge on the property.. (behind bank & other lenders by the sound of it)..

In short OP only be prepared to make the investment if you are happy to never see it again; that way whatever you do get back will always be a bonus..
    People told us never to buy a house together, but we did it many years ago and made a very handsome profit, so it's not always bad...
  • Hard_food_for_midas
    Options
    John1993 wrote: »
    Then you are acting as a fool. There is no certainty in life, so you are not even going in to this with your eyes open.

You clearly have no interest in taking advice on board, however, so I'll step out of this thread, in despair.

John, I think that is a bit unfair. Clearly, I am taking peoples' advice - that is why I have switched it to an 'agreement between friends.'

It has also been good to hear everyone else's issues with lending & no doubt this is why Shakespeare said over 500 years ago: 'never a lender nor a borrower be.' I have however, my whole life been a lender and a borrower. Maybe I have been lucky. No-one has yet defaulted and I have never been unable to repay someone.

I think forewarned is forearmed, but there is no need to despair...
  • Hard_food_for_midas
    Options
    StuC75 wrote: »
    At least in your case the investment had some form of security - the house - that you sell on should it have gone wrong.. Here it is investing in a company - what is being put up as security..

The OP would be best placed to have some kind of agreement drawn up making him a shareholder in the company..

As it stands such an agreement would fall so far down the list of what could be claimed - even if were to push for some form of charge on the property.. (behind bank & other lenders by the sound of it)..

In short OP only be prepared to make the investment if you are happy to never see it again; that way whatever you do get back will always be a bonus..

Yes, fair enough StuC75. We were going to try and value the business and I'd've had a stake in it - it's a great little cottage business - but it's just attained another concession in another large chain of stores - they need cash to expand. Bank has turned them down once but are reviewing again next week. I think the bank are being way too cautious....they do not see the potential I see..
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Options
    that is why I have switched it to an 'agreement between friends.'

But it still isn't worth the paper it is written on. You would need a court to award a CCJ against him and if he doesn't have the money then you might be lucky to be repaid at a pound a week or something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure