Food Zip Lock Alternatives

Options
We currently use zip lock food bags to store portions of fresh meat in the freezer when we go shopping and i am looking for an alternative to this. Everything else ive seen seem to be a hard case of some description which takes up loads of room in the freezer.

Is anyone aware of anything that is a bag that you can store meat/sauces wetc in the freezer. It doesnt have to be a zip lock but it does need to be able to go in the feezer and not take up loads of room.

thanks

Comments

• Nonnadiluca
    Options
    I use the packs from the inside of cereal boxes for storing pretty much all food in the fridge and freezer. They wash easily and last for ages: I'm still using some that are nearly a year old! Also keeps them out of landfill for a while and, if you buy cereal anyway, free!!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't use ziplock as it seems a waste of money to use something that price ... instead, I use simple/cheap "press and seal" bags, a box of about 60 of those are about £1.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where are those from pls, PN?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where are those from pls, PN?

Probably poundland... as a rule I tend to shop in Aldi, Lidl, Poundland and Home Bargains.... so it's most likely to have come from one of those.
  • sjp1966
    sjp1966 Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are they environmentally friendly or still as bad as the zip lock bags?
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    They would be as bad as zip lock bags as still plastic. You can re-use the bags by washing them but they eventually rip. I re-use bags from (reduced) bought wraps until they are ripped or broken somehow rather than buying the bags.

You can buy re-usable silicone zip lock bags. They last a lot longer are multi use and are freezer and microwave safe (not come across any that aren't but check). This is definitely a better option than those flimsy plastic bags.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • RFB_2
    RFB_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Reusing the plastic boxes from Chinese/Indian takeaways works well but of course they are hard shell.
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    RFB wrote: »
    Reusing the plastic boxes from Chinese/Indian takeaways works well but of course they are hard shell.

Freeze in those, then transfer to zip loc. To defrost do the opposite, take out of zip lock and defrost in another container.
    If you come back to check and its all one frozen block you know your freezer has defrosted and refroze again ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure