Negotiate loan offer?

Options
Hi

I had an 80% acceptance on the soft credit search for a loan I am looking to take. Appreciate this is no guarantee but I mention as it may give some indication of my credit rating. I've been accepted for the loan but at interest rate of 5.4% rather than the advertised 2.9%, which doesn't make it cost effective for us. Has anyone had any experience of negotiating the rate down? Any tips on what worked/ what information they would need?

Thanks

AoB

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Try somewhere else, Cant see you having much luck negotiating a better deal, they have gave you the rate they are happy with
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looking at your previous posts I would say 5.4% is pretty generous given your circumstances.

Why is it not 'cost effective'?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Options
    This may or may not apply to you, but some loans have interest bands for different size loans, and smaller can be more expensive.

For instance someone who wants to borrow £5000 may find it useful to apply for £7500 and pay back £2500 early.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks BOGOF but I was asking whether it was worth trying negotiating, not your opinion on what I deserved.
  • System
    Options
    Good tip thanks Redux
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks BOGOF but I was asking whether it was worth trying negotiating, not your opinion on what I deserved.

Lenders don't negotiate, they make offers.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Well said!
  • System
    Options
    Fair enough thanks Thrugelmir.

And thanks Mable. This used to be a supportive and non-judgmental forum. It hasn't felt like that lately.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The OP can ask about his loan rate but unless they have some kind of scheme to match an offer somewhere, he won't get far.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Options
    Hardly think my post was judgemental. You're not long out a DMP by the looks of things and in your situation I would be delighted at the offer. The representative advertised rates are for those with squeaky clean records and I'm afraid you don't meet that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure