Student Loans

Options
waterbaby
waterbaby Posts: 500 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello everybody,

I hadn't had a statement for my Student Loan since 2003, so I wrote to request one. They wrote back (eventually) and told me my balance as at April 2003 - very helpful (I have worked and paid constantly since then). They suggested I sent copies of my P60 for the 03/04 tax year, and payslips for the current one.

I can do that, but - why do they not have any information for me from the Inland Revenue since April 2003?? :confused: Anyone know?

I was going to phone, but the number is 0870 and I refuse out of principle. The 'alternative' number told me to phone the 0870! :mad:

I'll probably write to them again. But I might as well wait until I get this years P60 and send two of them, as I won't get a reply before April anyway going by the experience of my last letter. I hate hanging around though, I like to get things sorted out.

PS I entered repayment in 2001.

Comments

• johannamse
    Options
    hey waterbaby -

Look at https://www.saynoto0870.com. I looked up Student Loans and their number is 0141 3062000. If you already use 18866, it will only cost you a penny to shout at them!
  • stuwilky
    stuwilky Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    In answer to why the SLC have no info on you since April 2003. A little strange to be honest. They IR only provide information on how much each account has paid in SLC repayments at the end of each financial year, and I would imagine that 10 months is a little long to update this iformation.

It is quite common for people to overpay their Student Loans at the end, simply because of the way information is communicated between the two organisations.
  • waterbaby
    Options
    Thanks for your responses.

I hadn't heard of 18866 before, johannamse. I've looked at their website. Do you use them? Are they reputable, etc? My doctor has introduced a 0870 - that's even worse than a private company doing it.

I did try the 0141 number - I got the lady on the switchboard, and then she put me through to an answerphone where there was a list of different scenarios and a corresponding list of numbers, several with 0870 (including the one i needed).

I think when I send my P60 I shall express my displeasure with 0870. And I will also express my displeasure to the manager of the doctors surgery.
  • johannamse
    Options
    Did you look on the 0870 website - there were a couple of other numbers that you could try, listed under student loans - i only put one down.

Yes - I use 18866. They are fantastic and have saved us hundreds. I tell everyone I know. Martin uses them as well. Here have a look at this link - under articles on the left. Get changing - do not be afraid - just go for it!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1095003038,99872,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure