Car loan !

Options
I'm looking to buy a new car, which would be my 2nd car. I am 19, and currently drive a 1.3 K reg ford fiesta, its a shed ! It's gradually falling apart, things just keep goin wrong. And I'm not prepared to wast money on getting things repaired.

I am in a decent job, get about £200 a week, and 2 pay rises a year :-D Anyway, I can't pay for a car right now, so I was looking to get a loan, around £1000 to maximum of £2000 for a new car.

I've had a wee look around some sites and things look ok, I'd prob pay it over 2 years, but if there was a decent deal, maybe over 1 year, or 18 months.

My car insurance will be pretty heafty aswell, had a few claims, and expect it to be aroun £1500 mark ! Why why why !? Car insurance, its nae gid !

Any advice would be appreciated....

Cheers
Feb 06 *****Highest Debt*****
Credit card - £800 in the red // Overdraft - £750 in the red // Loan - £2000 in the red
*****Current Debt*****
Credit card - GONE ! // Overdraft - GONE ! // Loan - GONE ! // Savings (Oct 12) - £6.5K+ :money:

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    No point in getting anything expensive or fancy IMO.
    As you already have a few claims under your belt you are quite right in saying any insurance for any car is going to be expensive.

Have you considered public transport??

Eric
  • Pressleyno1
    Options
    Yeah, thats what I'm thinking, just an A-B car, the shead does A - A. Its !!!!!!.
    Thinking a corsa or another, newer fiesta. Both quite low insurance groups. I did consider just giving it up all together & estimated I'd save around £2000 a year. But I really can't see it. I need a car really.

Anyone know of a good loan deal, where i might even pay off early etc ?
    Credit card - £800 in the red // Overdraft - £750 in the red // Loan - £2000 in the red
    *****Current Debt*****
    Credit card - GONE ! // Overdraft - GONE ! // Loan - GONE ! // Savings (Oct 12) - £6.5K+ :money:
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Have you tried online banks such as Egg? Not sure if some have a minimum age of 21 though.
    Have you approached your own bank?They wil know how you have run your account and might be willing to help. Interest rates are likely to be on high side though and beware of the 2/3 month interest repayment penalty if you pay loan early.

As for your insurance have you taken the advanced driving test? Friends of mine saved several hundred pounds on their kids insurance because they had passed this test. This might be something for you to consider.
    ERIC
  • Pressleyno1
    Options
    Yeah, I'd well be up for some advanced driving course. Too late to do pass plus. I WISH I HAD DONE THAT ! Do u know of any of these courses ? I can't seem to find any. Hear max power does something ?
    *****Current Debt*****
  • Gamblelini-viking
    Options
    iam in the same situation pressley i am 20 and am sick of using me dads car and i after a loan for around 2,000 iam also on £200 a week.

ive looked alot into getting finance but all seem high and iam with HSBC would they give me a loan, i dont have a credit card either.

plz help
  • nh
    nh Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    We have bought our new car on a 3.9% for life of balance Texaco credit card.

To get at the cash (car dealers will usually charge you a surcharge if you pay them by credit card) you need to use an Egg card as a 'mule'.

If you got a £2k limit on Texaco (you have to do the BT in the first month to get 3.9%) BT that to Egg to put Egg into credit and then transfer the £2k into your bank account.

Otherwise you are going to pay 6% or probably more because of the amount you are borrowing, and there are early repayment fees to consider.
    I'm married now! Yippee!
  • rcman
    rcman Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Go for an AA Car loan. One of the lowest interest rates around (if not THE lowest at the moment), they can deliver money to your door by courier within 24 hours, and they often throw in a free AA car check to check over any potential new purchase.
    Mr Lewis saved my life.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    If you use a 0% credit card, be sure you can pay it off within the 0% period which may run for only 6 or 9 months. After that, the interest rate is likely to rise to around 16% or more - unless you can roll over the remaining debt to another 0% offer.

HTH
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure