Horrible Manager.

Options
I need some advice... I have been at my workplace for 10 years now. The three years working there was brilliant, after three years the manager left and a new manager was employed. This new manager was qualified for the job, however I believe only received the job as she was such good friends with the area manager and the directors.

This manager is absolutely awful, so unprofessional, unsupportive, ignorant and horrible. She has her favourite staff members who always get special treatment. She arrives at work when she pleases and leaves when she pleases, however always signs herself in as working a full day (normally she does 5 hour days when she’s mean to do 8). She had some sick days a couple of weeks ago, and when my colleague was sending timeslips to payroll, my manager did not put down her sick days and instead had put down she worked full days. She will be fine with you, until you pick her up on something or complain about something - then she will always be !!!!!!/not friendly with you. My manager employs staff who are not very good but doesn’t help in training them, leaves it to us which makes our job 10x harder.

Many people have left my work because of her, and have all told my area manager about how the manager really behaves. My area manager acts shocked by this and says she will sort it out, but nothing gets done. I have asked before if I can have the email for HR, I was told that I need to speak to my area manager who will pass it on to HR if she deems it necessary. I was told that we do not have direct access to HR, everything must go through the area manager. But my area manager does nothing about it! And by telling my area manager, she will then tell the manager what I’ve said and I will get treated unfairly.

(By unfairly, it’s nothing I could seriously report her for, just being unfriendly/not speaking nicely to me).

I love my job and I love my colleagues but my manager makes everyday miserable and I now come home crying most days. I feel like this is an endless cycle as the only person I can tell is my area manager, who never does anything because she loves the manager and they’re great friends!!! Any advice on how I can get to HR or how to get out of this horrible situation?

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Have you tried just ringing head office, explaining that you are an employee, and asking to be put through to HR? It does seem bizarre that you can't get access to them.......
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can only be responsible for how you work, interact or react. Do your best, in the hours you're paid for and then go home and breathe.

Try and let everything else wash over you and retain a sea of calm.

Don't get drawn in to their petty squabbles.

It sounds like they're not going anywhere anytime soon, so if you feel you can't deal with it, it sounds like another job is the only option.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I appreciate that you now have a horrible working environment, but there are realistically only two courses of action open to you.

1. Come to terms with the fact that the manager is a ******** (put whatever word you like in there) and just get on with the job despite their actions. Don't let them get under your skin and stress you. Leave the job, and the manager, at the door when you go home. Not easy, but you need to find a way.

2. Find another job.

Sorry if that sounds brutal, but it is the reality of the situation unless the manager leaves.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Many people have left my work because of her, and have all told my area manager about how the manager really behaves. My area manager acts shocked by this and says she will sort it out, but nothing gets done.

The problem, then, isn't mainly to do with your manager but to do with an area manager who is either weak and ineffectual, or condones what is going on. She has blocked you from talking to HR which hints to me that she actually supports this manager and sees you as a complainer and a threat. Continuing to raise things to her would be a mistake.
    Any advice on how I can get to HR or how to get out of this horrible situation?

Well, I suppose you could try 'hr@yourcompany.com' or something. But what would it get you? They would just raise it with the area manager and you'd be back in the same position.

It's time to follow your sensible colleagues' examples and leave. Workplaces change, just because it was a good place to work three years ago doesn't mean you should stay there now.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    user5678 wrote: »
    I need some advice... I have been at my workplace for 10 years now. The three years working there was brilliant, after three years the manager left and a new manager was employed. This new manager was qualified for the job, however I believe only received the job as she was such good friends with the area manager and the directors.

This manager is absolutely awful, so unprofessional, unsupportive, ignorant and horrible. She has her favourite staff members who always get special treatment. She arrives at work when she pleases and leaves when she pleases, however always signs herself in as working a full day (normally she does 5 hour days when she’s mean to do 8). She had some sick days a couple of weeks ago, and when my colleague was sending timeslips to payroll, my manager did not put down her sick days and instead had put down she worked full days. She will be fine with you, until you pick her up on something or complain about something - then she will always be !!!!!!/not friendly with you. My manager employs staff who are not very good but doesn’t help in training them, leaves it to us which makes our job 10x harder.

Many people have left my work because of her, and have all told my area manager about how the manager really behaves. My area manager acts shocked by this and says she will sort it out, but nothing gets done. I have asked before if I can have the email for HR, I was told that I need to speak to my area manager who will pass it on to HR if she deems it necessary. I was told that we do not have direct access to HR, everything must go through the area manager. But my area manager does nothing about it! And by telling my area manager, she will then tell the manager what I’ve said and I will get treated unfairly.

(By unfairly, it’s nothing I could seriously report her for, just being unfriendly/not speaking nicely to me).

I love my job and I love my colleagues but my manager makes everyday miserable and I now come home crying most days. I feel like this is an endless cycle as the only person I can tell is my area manager, who never does anything because she loves the manager and they’re great friends!!! Any advice on how I can get to HR or how to get out of this horrible situation?

So your manager has not been "nice" to you for 7 years.

You have been told how to contact HR (via your area manager) but don't want to as your manager will still not be nice to you.

Yet you have witnessed the area manager acting surprised when each and every person has resigned.

You have witnessed fraud but not raised a grievance or whistle blowing action because they might not be nice to you.

Why haven't you joined a union and organised collective action?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She arrives at work when she pleases and leaves when she pleases, however always signs herself in as working a full day (normally she does 5 hour days when she’s mean to do 8). She had some sick days a couple of weeks ago, and when my colleague was sending timeslips to payroll, my manager did not put down her sick days and instead had put down she worked full days.

Are you able to whistle blow anonymously against this fraud?
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you able to whistle blow anonymously against this fraud?

I know what you mean, but it is important to state that this would not be whistleblowing.

Whistleblowing affords you significant legal protection, in making an anonymous complaint like this you would only be protected as long as they couldn't identify you, if they figure out who you are there could be consequences.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you've had 3 good years and the last 7 have been bad, why are you still there? Move on.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    She arrives at work when she pleases and leaves when she pleases, however always signs herself in as working a full day (normally she does 5 hour days when she’s mean to do 8). She had some sick days a couple of weeks ago, and when my colleague was sending timeslips to payroll, my manager did not put down her sick days and instead had put down she worked full days.

When she arrives and when she leaves, along with the hours she puts herself down for is actually none of your business. Her own manager should be aware of what is happening and acting on it if they see fit.
    Concern yourself with things which directly affect your ability to do your job and keep completely out of office politics and people 'playing favourites'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure