Accountancy Training

Options
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on the route to becoming an accountant.

Bit of background, I am in my late 20's and currently work as a qualified mortgage advisor for a high street lender. I've been doing this since 2014 and I am bored.

I've been doing some research and there are a lot of different bodies within accountancy which has thrown me with regards to which route I should take. There seem to be more jobs working payroll as opposed to being a tax advisor, which was my initial thought.

Questions are,

What sort of cost am I looking at to get qualified to a level I can be taken on?

Are there better qualifications to hold in what seems a saturated market?

I've been looking at 'payroll' jobs which seems to be outsourced from main employers but they often specify 'qualified to acceptable standard'.

Can you point me in the right direction to get started?

Thank you

Comments

• kleapatra
    kleapatra Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Payroll isn’t done by accountants usually, when payroll jobs ask for qualified they mean a payroll qualification which is a lot more basic than an accountancy qualification and can be completed in a very short time. A proper accountancy qualification will usually take several years. There are pretty much only 3 qualifications to be an accountant, ACA (can only be done working for an accountancy practise and as part of a training contract), ACCA and CIMA. All 3 are very costly, very time consuming and very difficult!

Oh and it sounds like you might get bored easily- accountancy is not the career for you!!
  • Super_Whiskey
    Options
    ACA doesn't necessarily have to be done with an accountancy practice although it's very common. It can be done with approved training providers.

If you do one of the chartered qualifications in practice then usually they will pay for the qualification and you get the bonus of on the job training which usually links to your studies.

Accountancy is far from saturated in terms of job opportunities. You can look for further info on the various qualification sites or just by doing a google search.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kleapatra wrote: »
    Oh and it sounds like you might get bored easily- accountancy is not the career for you!!
    And honestly, it strikes me that Payroll would be the most boring job in the finance world! You do the same stuff Every Single Month, with only minor variations for starters, leavers and statutory payments. It all has to be very precisely, dotted Is and crossed Ts, this form or that form completed correctly and so on.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • kleapatra
    kleapatra Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    And honestly, it strikes me that Payroll would be the most boring job in the finance world! You do the same stuff Every Single Month, with only minor variations for starters, leavers and statutory payments. It all has to be very precisely, dotted Is and crossed Ts, this form or that form completed correctly and so on.
    Ha, very much so!
  • Dillshad
    Dillshad Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Food for thought here, thanks all.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FWIW I qualified as an ACA in 1983 and it has proved to be an interesting and varied career not to mention a fairly lucrative one. In particular every business has an accounts function and so job opportunities are widespread and not restricted to specific industries. It's also a good stepping stone into more general management.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is worth visiting the website of the top 50 - 100 firms (you can obtain a list from the ICAEW website) and looking at their recruitment process. When I trained in 2006 I noticed alot of firms had a process for recruiting people already working in other industries.
  • voodoojimi
    voodoojimi Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    As you already work for a bank, are there any relevant opportunities there that you could move across to? There are a lot of accountancy jobs around but from my own experience it is a tough nut to crack - I started ACCA studies in my late 30's which was tough going working full time & having a young family and spent 18 months applying for jobs without getting any interviews. Any Trainee Accountant roles had well over 100 applicants. I couldn't even get myself in front of employers looking for entry level staff with no experience - I applied for one role that that involved recharging suppliers services which had been part of my normal job for 8 years; it was advertised twice to even fill it in the first place, then the person that got it left after 4 months but despite 3 applications I wasn't even shortlisted.

I gave up on ACCA in the end as I was getting nowhere and have stuck with my existing career (would jump to an accounting role like a shot though but think that ship has sailed). I have a lot of directly transferable skills and did voluntary accounts work as well but it made no difference. Am kicking myself as was offered 2 AAT training opportunities in my mid 20's but turned them down at the time!
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I completed AAT (a lower accountancy qualification). I completed all 3 years up to AAT 4 accounting technician.

It’s good because you can work and earn as you do it.

I’m a finance manager now. I got my AAT a long time ago, nearly 20 years.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I completed AAT (a lower accountancy qualification). I completed all 3 years up to AAT 4 accounting technician.

It’s good because you can work and earn as you do it.

I’m a finance manager now. I got my AAT a long time ago, nearly 20 years.

Can also encourage an AAT qualification if you intend to go into book-keeping/payroll (this is completely different to being an accountant) - think nurses and surgeons.

I also have one, nice certificate and teaches you all you'll need to know (though I ended up following a different career path).

Also, count me as another person delighting in the irony of being bored so deciding to career change to an accountant!
    Know what you don't
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport