NHS Job re-evaluation/re-banding advise

Options
Hi.

Looking for some advise. I have recently transferred to another band 6 OT post (applied for it as it was closer to home). The post is within the same health board, is the same banding as my previous post and with the equivalent team for this area. The only difference with the new post is that new team are already integrated with social care (it’s in community). My previous team were still in the process of this. Anyway it’s apparent since starting in March that the role is significantly different due to integration. There are a lot of new responsibilities/assessments/interventions that I am expected to carry out which were historically carried out by my SW OT colleagues. I am all for streamlining processes to get the best care for patients however it seems a lot on top of my own role which was already a band 6. The job description has not been updated following integration and the amount of shared responsibilities were not discussed at interview etc. There is also a pay difference in services (my social work colleagues are paid slightly more). The role itself due to the new responsibilities feels more like a band 7. Do I have a case for asking for the job to be re-evaluated? I am aware that I’ve only been there shy of 3 months but I have worked in the equivalent team in a different area as a band 6 for 6 years so I am well aware of the what the role was prior to integration. The job description should surely reflect the new role as it currently is? And if this affects the banding surely that’s right?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can the job be matched to a national profile? Speak with staff side who have significant experience of matching panels. You may be looking at completing a JAQ/ hybrids.

How many are likely to be affected locally?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You mention "health board" - are you in Scotland? (Not sure if this matters, but the poster glaswejen seems to be well informed on Scottish NHS matters).

FWIW, my trust (mental health) was one of the first to integrate with social services and it didn't work out. Social care staff did not like the clinical aspects of the integrated roles and clinical staff didn't like the social care aspect. There were also problems with social care staff managing clinicians and vice versa.

Eventually, social care staff returned to the local authority.
  • MrsS.
    MrsS. Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for your input. Yes I’m in scotland (Glasgow). We’ve been told that integration is here to stay in order to meet the 20/20 vision for care in he community so I don’t see nhs/local authority splitting again when it comes to my situation. I’ve had a look at the National profiles and for what I can see, the job fits better into the band 7 catagory due to a range of factors.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of NHS visions turn out to be hallucinations...

The fact the JD has not been updated to reflect the realities of integration says it all.

Are you in a union? If yes, what do they say?
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    All problems in Scotland are the fault of Westminster. If you were in England you would be a Band 5.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely something to get the union involved in.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MrsS.
    MrsS. Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks. Not sure what about my situation has prompted someone to think I’d be a grade lower in England but ok... ��. I’ve contacted my union. Our OT rep is off sick at the moment but they’re going to get another rep to contact me. Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In England most NHS jobs are getting re-banded lower (or so it seems). Yet the responsibilities are increasing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure