Self Assessment - help calculating tax

Options
Hi
I am doing the self assessment for Dad who died in the last tax year.
I have all the numbers and just want to work out the tax we need to pay.
Please can anybody point me in the direction of a layout for doing it? I need to be able to include pensions, bank interest, dividends and the gain on life assurance policies and he will be a higher rate tax payer as I know the gains count as income.

Normally I think the order would be salary/pension followed by interest then dividends but I don't know whether the gain is before or after the interest and dividends.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Best way is just to do it using HMRC's online system and it then calculates the tax for you automatically.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a read of:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/788319/SA110_notes_2019.pdf

which addresses the particular issue you raise, order of taxation, in Section 6.

Then, as Pennywise sugggests, use HMRC's online SA software to crunch the data.
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • Newcomer1234
    Options
    Almost Jimmo - its been a steep learning curve for me dealing with a death and all the associated paperwork.....never needed to do a self assessment thing before and its made harder that I can t ask Dad who also hadn't done one in over 5 years.

The last bit is making sure my fellow executors agree to holding back enough to pay the final tax bills hence my wanting to work out what we may need to pay over to HMRC

It would be nice if I could use the online tool but as Dad is dead his access has been cancelled - and I am not sure it will be correct to play with the figures in my name. I am not retired (he was and receiving pensions) not married (he was) and because I am not dead it might wonder how I could have gains on a life assurance policy!

Polymaff, thanks. I think the link answers my questions. I did search the Gov website but never managed to find that bit.

Many thanks everybody.

One thing I have learned from all of this is to tidy my own affairs up a bit so my kids wont struggle so much when my time comes.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 July 2019 at 12:42PM
    Options
    There's no problem about using a not-yet-submitted HMRC SA Online in your name to experiment with your father's figures and to see the full HMRC computation. Just don't submit!

I delay submitting just so that I can do this - though that is usually me putting in test data designed to check if HMRC's SA software really works...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure