Cashback on Mortgage being kept by Mortgage Advisor

Options
We used an independant mortgage advisor who found us a decent rate on a mortgage with Natwest. We are now in the property, completion went without a hitch etc

After our last appointment with the MA, my husband had said to me "Oh I saw that mortgage had £1000 cashback on, that will be handy to put towards legal fees"
Anyway we paid legals etc on completion, but it reminded us to chase the advisor/broker for the cash back.

He said that he took the cashback himself as an introduction fee but not to worry as he took this into account by waiving HIS fee to US which would usually be £1000.

We were under the impression that MAs make their money from the lenders anyway...is this correct? I wonder if we should approach Natwest?

To people who have had a cashback on their mortgage...How is the cashback usually paid, and what were the time scales?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Check your mortgage offer. This shouod say who is getting what and any fees rhat are payable to various people.

Also you shouod have signed a fee agreement at the start. What did tyat say?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Section 4 mentions all fees payable.
    If there is a fee for the broker in there and they did not charge you but took the cashback, not the best way to do things but you are no worse off.
    If there is no broker fee in there and they took the cashback - ask them for the cashback.

Before proceeding, you should be 100% aware of what the brokers fee is. It is one thing I discuss on the initial phone call before doing anything.

Lenders do pay brokers commission and brokers do keep that, but some brokers (us included) charge a fee in addition to the commission. It is pretty rare the commission is enough for the work involved, unless you are applying for a £350k mortgage.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Cscott139
    Cscott139 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £1000 fee is pretty ridiculous unless your case was extremely difficult to deal with and if it ended up with Nat West I would hazard a guess that it wasn't.

Any fees should have been agreed up front though and these should be documented.
  • MrsGreen0872
    Options
    it says my fee to him is £195, no mention of any cash back on the mortgage offer

Is this a thing that advisers just do?
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We used an independant mortgage advisor who found us a decent rate on a mortgage with Natwest. We are now in the property, completion went without a hitch etc

Did you employ the adviser on commission basis or fee basis?
    He said that he took the cashback himself as an introduction fee but not to worry as he took this into account by waiving HIS fee to US which would usually be £1000.

This sounds like fee with commission offset. A model that works well with larger mortgages but not so good with smaller ones. However, the commission retained should match the fee. Any excess should be refunded.
    We were under the impression that MAs make their money from the lenders anyway...is this correct? I wonder if we should approach Natwest?
    Are you mixing up the commission on the mortgage with a cashback?

Cashback paid by the lender would be explicitly stated as much and paid by the lender to your bank. It would not go to the mortgage adviser.

I suspect there is some misreading or misunderstanding going on here.

it says my fee to him is £195, no mention of any cash back on the mortgage offer
    So, where does it say there is £1000 cashback?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

Is this a thing that advisers just do?
    Your broker has overcharged you by £805 then.
    If the only paperwork you have is to say their fee is £195, I would send them an email advising them that you agreed to £195 not £1,000 and you expect a payment of £805.

That being said, the solicitor has sent the broker the £1000. They would normally only do this if there was a piece of paper signed by you somewhere.

Something does not stack up, but if you are adamant you agreed to £195, then I would email them and see what they say and then go from there. If you are not happy with their response, ask them about their complaints procedure and follow that.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Neutrinno
    Neutrinno Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree with ACG. If £195 was the agreed fee from the outset on your mortgage illustration/terms of business, you need to flag this to them and ask for your cashback to paid to you immediately.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have heard of brokers sharing the proc fee with the client but haven't heard of taking cashback in lieu of actual fee.
    If a client doesn't have the fee upfront it's just simpler to agree to pay on completion.

I'm surprised a solicitor would bother themselves with settling a broker fee by transferring the cashback as that would get sent to the solicitor rather than the broker.

OP are yiu sure you aren't mixing this up with the Procuration Fee?
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    Usually a cashback would be sent to the solicitor with the funds and they would knock this off the bill or it would be transferred direct to the client within 30 days of completion by the bank. How would the broker get their hands on it?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • No, as you have described it, this is definitely not normal practice by a mortgage broker.

As mentioned above, upon completion, cashback is usually paid to the solicitor or to the borrower's bank account. I myself have never heard of it being paid to the broker.

Natwest usually pays cashback to the solicitor on the day of drawdown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure