Unfair recruitment process exposed at Travelodge

Options
ng30
ng30 Posts: 2 Newbie
I applied for 21 jobs at Travelodge using the Travelodge Careers website in February 2018 and I wasn't even shortlisted once. After applying for so many jobs with the same company I thought my CV would get picked out at least once but I wasn't even shortlisted once, I only received emails regarding 3 job applications but I had applied for 21, obviously at this point I felt like something unfair was going, I wanted to know why I wasn't shortlisted even once and what was going on with all the other applications so I tried contacting Travelodge but the only email contact I could find was for their press office so I emailed them proof that I had applied for 21 jobs hoping they would forward it to the relevant person.

I got a response back from the "Recruitment Manager" but the first 2 emails kept insisting that we discuss everything over the phone, I was assuming they wanted to cover something up at that point so I kept insisting that we should discuss everything in writing so that if something unfair is really going on then at least I have proof in writing.

At first they claimed that I hadn't completed certain things on my application form so I received "an automatic knock out" message. They claimed I haven't completed the section regarding "right to work in the UK" and "outstanding criminal convictions", I know for a fact that I had completed these sections on all the 21 applications correctly, I also know for a fact that their website doesn't let anyone submit incomplete applications as there is a special section for this called "incomplete applications" and the "incomplete applications" section on my account is completely empty.

When I knew I had completed those sections but they still tried to use that against me I just felt like they were insulting me by saying I am not a British citizen and I am some kind of criminal. I am a British citizen since birth and I have never had any criminal convictions in my life so I responded by saying they need to look into what happened.

The then got back to me with a very similar response but this time they also included an image which was supposed to be a screenshot of their internal system and it shows "---" in front of a lot of things but I know for a fact I completed those so either something is wrong with their system or someone has just tampered with my applications to make it look that way or the screenshot is completely fake, I don't know what is going on but I can tell that half of the image is cropped away so I cant even tell what the image is supposed to be, if it is really my application then why are they hiding it from me by cropping parts of it away? I know that something isn't right.

I knew for a fact that they were basically lying to me at that point and looking for any excuse to get out of it as there is no way for me to have got those questions wrong or have left them incomplete on all 21 applications.

I then asked the Recruitment Manager to escalate this to her manager, at that point I got a response from "Head of People Services and Compliance" who said they will investigate this over the next week.

I then heard back from the "Head of People Services and Compliance" who claimed "I've found that there is a technical issue in the system (likely caused by a recent technology update made) that has triggered an action where your application was rejected on three occasions." they also said "Whilst this is not satisfactory, I can also confirm that no human action was taken in your applications and no one at Travelodge has viewed or actioned any aspect of your application"

They just clearly admitted that 3 of my applications were never even considered because there was supposedly a "technical issue" with their system. They also just said that "no human action was taken in your applications" I will prove this to be a lie in a moment.

I had applied for 21 jobs but they are only talking about 3, so I asked them what happened to the other 18? I asked to escalate this to his manager.

This is the response I got:
"Three of the applications is where I understand you have had a response explaining your application was not successful. I understand you have not had any response to any of the other 18 applications and to be clear, these have not been reviewed by anyone at Travelodge"

Meaning 18 of my applications were just completely ignored and were never even looked at or considered.

They also said this:

"Your complaint will not be passed on to anyone else in Travelodge. Your complaint has been investigated by our Recruitment Manager, and I have taken over the investigation and response as a senior manager in the organisation. "

They have now clearly refused to pass this onto anyone senior which is why I am going public.

Proof Traveldoge is doing fraud and that they are completely lying specially regarding the "no human action was taken in your applications":

Well when I logged into my Travelodge account to take some more screenshots today it now says "22 Job Applications" but wait I only made 21 applications and I have a screenshot of my account from when I made the complaint, where did this 1 extra job application come from?

Well according to their dashboard it says I have applied for this 1 extra job on 28 July 2012, if I really applied for that job in 2012 why does it have my most current mobile number, in employment history why does it show all the jobs I held after 2012 like the jobs I had in 2013 and 2016? this is proof they have just added a fraudulent fake job application in my name to their systems which I never even applied for. I didnt even have a Travelodge careers account back in 2012 I registered for an account around February 2018 when I applied for the jobs which is proof they are completely lying when they are saying "no human action was taken in your applications"

Since I started complaining they have been repeatedly said things along the lines of:
"Recruitment Manager" wrote this:
"That's not a problem I can confirm our conversation in writing after the call, it would just be useful to speak with you to find out how you've applied and I'd like you to apply for a role whilst you are on the phone so I can see how it comes through and talk it through with you."

"Head of People Services and Compliance" also wrote this:
"In terms of resolution, I have and continue to offer you the opportunity to apply for any job role with us that is currently active. I will ensure your application is processed to the interview stage where your profile is shortlisted. You have this commitment from me. "

That obviously sounds like they want me to make a new application so they can take some kind of "human action" and tamper with my applications, when I refused to apply again they have some how made up a fraudulent application in their system with the 28 July 2012 date.

There is obviously something dodgy going on with the Travelodge recruitment process that needs to be investigated properly. I am here because I want to make my story public just in case I am not the only person they have done this to, maybe after this becomes a public matter Travelodge will provide a real explanation to what happened to my 21 applications and why it has fraudulently made up an application in my name that I have never applied for.

I have a full paper trail of all the correspondence and I have proof they have fraudulently added a job in my name to their system.

Update (17 April 2018):
I would just like to clarify some things:
1. I can totally understand that maybe they had a lot of applicants so I didn't get shortlisted.
2. They never even sent me a rejection email for 18 job applications so when I first emailed them it was mainly because I just wanted to know what happened, Im sure most people that are applying for jobs always try to get some kind of feedback about what happened to their applications, I was just doing that and when they said I haven't completed some things obviously I just followed up because I wanted to know why they were saying that because I know I completed them, I think its fair for me to ask them about why they said that.
3. If there is really a fault with the system I just wanted to know what that meant for my applications could they have been completely ignored due to this? I think its fair for me to ask that question when they are claiming there is a system fault.
4. There is an extra application showing up in my account, I never made that application, where did that come from? Is it a system fault?, did someone from Travelodge put it there? I think its fair for me to ask those types of questions when it has my details all over the application.

Thank you for all the responses, they really help, please keep them coming :)
It would be great if you could please stay on topic, Thank You, any offensive comments attacking me will and have been reported to the forum team.

If there are any Travelodge employees or former Travelodge employees on here that wish to come forward about their experiences at Travelodge and wish to have a friendly chat with me then please feel free to private message me, That way you can remain completely anonymous and even if you share your details I promise to keep your details anonymous.

I will post an update if I hear anything back from Travelodge.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There doesn't appear to be any lying or fraud, but perhaps some system issues.

Perhaps apply elsewhere.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So you applied for 21 jobs with Travelodge but were not successful, and now claiming it was unfair?

Seems to me they had LOTS if applications so interviewed a few people and employed someone.

You were clearly not the right person for the job, and by moaning to them you have no doubt sabotaged any future chance of a job.

I did some graduate recruitment once and had one person try to claim I was discriminating against them as they hadn't been given an interview. I pointed out I had 200+ applicants for 2 jobs and they spelt my name wrong!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • ng30
    ng30 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 17 April 2018 at 1:03PM
    Options
    Thank you:), I can understand that but if that is the case they should just investigate properly and provide a full explanation for all 21 jobs not just 3 jobs. If they would have done that I would have been happy with that. I also didn't authorise them to use my personal details to make the 22nd job application they are just using my details without my permission to make up a fraudulent job application which I never even applied for, the least they could do is provide an explanation of why they did that, I think if they are making job applications up in my name I at least have a right to know who authorised them to use my details without my permission to make up a fraudulent application.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ng30 wrote: »
    Thank you:), I can understand that but if that is the case they should just investigate properly and provide a full explanation for all 21 jobs not just 3 jobs. If they would have done that I would have been happy with that. I also didn't authorise them to use my personal details to make the 22nd job application they are just using my details without my permission to make up a fraudulent job application which I never even applied for, the least they could do is provide an explanation of why they did that, I think if they are making job applications up in my name I at least have a right to know who authorised them to use my details without my permission to make up a fraudulent application.

They don't need to explain anything to you.

Unfortunately your behaviour means you'll have been marked as a difficult person, you're not going to make an attractive candidate/ employee. Also applying for 21 jobs with one employer suggests you are taking a scattergun approach, you'd be far better to apply for one or two and spend time properly tailoring your application to the role.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

How much would you pay for this information?

Have you any idea of how businesses such as hotels are run?

Based on your attitude displayed in your 2 posts to date, I would suggest customer facing roles are not for you.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 April 2018 at 1:16PM
    Options
    Perhaps the one from 2012 was a dummy one they used to check why your other ones were unsuccessful and they used a default date.

Tbh I would spend all this energy you are using to find a conspiracy that isnt there applying for other jobs and as another poster said tailoring those applications to the role in question rather than just bombarding a company with multiple applications
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I applied for 21 jobs at Travelodge using the Travelodge Careers website in February 2018 and I wasn't even shortlisted once. After applying for so many jobs with the same company I thought my CV would get picked out at least once but I wasn't even shortlisted once, I only received emails regarding 3 job applications but I had applied for 21, obviously at this point I felt like something unfair was going, I wanted to know why I wasn't shortlisted even once and what was going on with all the other applications so I tried contacting Travelodge but the only email contact I could find was for their press office so I emailed them proof that I had applied for 21 jobs hoping they would forward it to the relevant person.

I got a response back from the "Recruitment Manager" but the first 2 emails kept insisting that we discuss everything over the phone, I was assuming they wanted to cover something up at that point so I kept insisting that we should discuss everything in writing so that if something unfair is really going on then at least I have proof in writing. So right away you are taking up time and causing issues

At first they claimed that I hadn't completed certain things on my application form so I received "an automatic knock out" message. They claimed I haven't completed the section regarding "right to work in the UK" and "outstanding criminal convictions", I know for a fact that I had completed these sections on all the 21 applications correctly, I also know for a fact that their website doesn't let anyone submit incomplete applications as there is a special section for this called "incomplete applications" and the "incomplete applications" section on my account is completely empty.
    Perhaps it didnt flow through,it happens
    When I knew I had completed those sections but they still tried to use that against me I just felt like they were insulting me by saying I am not a British citizen and I am some kind of criminal. I am a British citizen since birth and I have never had any criminal convictions in my life so I responded by saying they need to look into what happened.
    No they don't,though it would be a good move
    The then got back to me with a very similar response but this time they also included an image which was supposed to be a screenshot of their internal system and it shows "---" in front of a lot of things but I know for a fact I completed those so either something is wrong with their system or someone has just tampered with my applications to make it look that way or the screenshot is completely fake, They have already pandered to you more than I would have I don't know what is going on but I can tell that half of the image is cropped away so I cant even tell what the image is supposed to be, if it is really my application then why are they hiding it from me by cropping parts of it away? I know that something isn't right.

I knew for a fact that they were basically lying to me at that point and looking for any excuse to get out of it as there is no way for me to have got those questions wrong or have left them incomplete on all 21 applications.
    No you don't
    I then asked the Recruitment Manager to escalate this to her manager, at that point I got a response from "Head of People Services and Compliance" who said they will investigate this over the next week. Again,they have given you waaaay more time than I would have

I then heard back from the "Head of People Services and Compliance" who claimed "I've found that there is a technical issue in the system (likely caused by a recent technology update made) that has triggered an action where your application was rejected on three occasions." they also said "Whilst this is not satisfactory, I can also confirm that no human action was taken in your applications and no one at Travelodge has viewed or actioned any aspect of your application"

They just clearly admitted that 3 of my applications were never even considered because there was supposedly a "technical issue" with their system. They also just said that "no human action was taken in your applications" I will prove this to be a lie in a moment.
    no you wont
    I had applied for 21 jobs but they are only talking about 3, so I asked them what happened to the other 18? I asked to escalate this to his manager.

This is the response I got:
    "Three of the applications is where I understand you have had a response explaining your application was not successful. I understand you have not had any response to any of the other 18 applications and to be clear, these have not been reviewed by anyone at Travelodge"

Meaning 18 of my applications were just completely ignored and were never even looked at or considered.

Or they simply had an applicant number limit,as an example

They also said this:

"Your complaint will not be passed on to anyone else in Travelodge. Your complaint has been investigated by our Recruitment Manager, and I have taken over the investigation and response as a senior manager in the organisation. "

They have now clearly refused to pass this onto anyone senior which is why I am going public.
    yup and I bet you wont care what anyone says that doesnt agree with you.
    Proof Traveldoge is doing fraud and that they are completely lying specially regarding the "no human action was taken in your applications":
    Nope
    Well when I logged into my Travelodge account to take some more screenshots today it now says "22 Job Applications" but wait I only made 21 applications and I have a screenshot of my account from when I made the complaint, where did this 1 extra job application come from?
    no pleasing you
    Well according to their dashboard it says I have applied for this 1 extra job on 28 July 2012, if I really applied for that job in 2012 why does it have my most current mobile number, in employment history why does it show all the jobs I held after 2012 like the jobs I had in 2013 and 2016? this is proof they have just added a fraudulent fake job application in my name to their systems which I never even applied for. I didnt even have a Travelodge careers account back in 2012 I registered for an account around February 2018 when I applied for the jobs which is proof they are completely lying when they are saying "no human action was taken in your applications"

So this supports they have tech issues from the upgrade.....

Since I started complaining they have been repeatedly said things along the lines of:
    "Recruitment Manager" wrote this:
    "That's not a problem I can confirm our conversation in writing after the call, it would just be useful to speak with you to find out how you've applied and I'd like you to apply for a role whilst you are on the phone so I can see how it comes through and talk it through with you."

This would have been a smart move

"Head of People Services and Compliance" also wrote this:
    "In terms of resolution, I have and continue to offer you the opportunity to apply for any job role with us that is currently active. I will ensure your application is processed to the interview stage where your profile is shortlisted. You have this commitment from me. "

So again,an olive branch you have chosen not to take up

That obviously sounds like they want me to make a new application so they can take some kind of "human action" and tamper with my applications, when I refused to apply again they have some how made up a fraudulent application in their system with the 28 July 2012 date.

Well that was petulant
    There is obviously something dodgy going on with the Travelodge recruitment process that needs to be investigated properly. I am here because I want to make my story public just in case I am not the only person they have done this to, maybe after this becomes a public matter Travelodge will provide a real explanation to what happened to my 21 applications and why it has fraudulently made up an application in my name that I have never applied for.

I have a full paper trail of all the correspondence and I have proof they have fraudulently added a job in my name to their system.

I would be interested to know what these 21 roles were?
    did you tailor your CV to each role type,or is it simply an application form?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At the very least, speaking to someone and completing an application form while on the phone could have helped identify whether there were any issues with your details and if so what they were. By refusing that, you've shot yourself in the foot.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Exactly why do you think they were discriminating against you?

Obviously, they will throw out all your applications from this point on.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    I did some graduate recruitment once and had one person try to claim I was discriminating against them as they hadn't been given an interview. I pointed out I had 200+ applicants for 2 jobs and they spelt my name wrong!!

I had someone call my office VERY upset she didn't get an interview, to be fair to some degree I could see her point as she was very well qualified. She had all the essential and desirable attributes but you have to cift somehow.

She pushed me and pushed me on the phone. I explained it was 1 job and over 250 applicants etc in the end I told her the reason was she spelt the company name wrong, it's easily done using an E instead of an A. She was not happy.....

But you do have to cift, I probably had 60 or so with everything I needed, but was only interviewing 10, so spelling errors like that were used to clear some out.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure