Which Oral B toothbrush

Options
My ancient Oral B brush has died (after 12+ years of service)
I am looking for another Oral B
They appear to have so many different versions now that I am confused
Do any heads fit any holder or what ?
I prefer a rechargeable one - but they are from £25 to over £100
I am confused
Any help welcome

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes the heads fit them all.

Boots usually have offers on so just buy what suits your budget.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I always say to patients to get one in the £50 - £60 range when they're on a half price offer.

If you like gizmos & gadgets and timers & bluetooth compatibility then spend more - but it won't really clean your teeth any better.

I was given one of their top ones that has bluetooth compatibility and an App that through a phone camera can actually watch you cleaning your teeth and make sure you do all areas evenly. It can even tell the difference between you cleaning the inside of your teeth and the outside. The dentist or hygienist can even program problem areas into your app so that you spend more time in those areas!

It really is quite fantastic! BUT - it is also really expensive, and would people really use it to it's full potential?

If you think you would - and you can afford it, it really is a 'state of the art' toothbrush.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    I always say to patients to get one in the £50 - £60 range when they're on a half price offer.

If you like gizmos & gadgets and timers & bluetooth compatibility then spend more - but it won't really clean your teeth any better.

I was given one of their top ones that has bluetooth compatibility and an App that through a phone camera can actually watch you cleaning your teeth and make sure you do all areas evenly. It can even tell the difference between you cleaning the inside of your teeth and the outside. The dentist or hygienist can even program problem areas into your app so that you spend more time in those areas!

It really is quite fantastic! BUT - it is also really expensive, and would people really use it to it's full potential?

If you think you would - and you can afford it, it really is a 'state of the art' toothbrush.
    Bluetooth toothbrushes - really ?
    I thought that I had heard of everything .....
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Bluetooth toothbrushes - really ?
    I thought that I had heard of everything .....

Good for people with blue teeth presumably ...........
    :D:D
    I use the basic one with a 2 minute timer & have done for years.
    All the rest are just silly gimmicky addons in my opinion
    Braun OralB tooth brushes are one of those items that are continually on offer somewhere, usually half price.
    Select your model then engage Google.
    HTH
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good for people with blue teeth presumably ...........
    :D:D
    I use the basic one with a 2 minute timer & have done for years.
    All the rest are just silly gimmicky addons in my opinion
    Braun OralB tooth brushes are one of those items that are continually on offer somewhere, usually half price.
    Select your model then engage Google.
    HTH
    £17.99 http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6164603
    thanks all
  • LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love the Oral B basic one and find it does the job perfectly, but I was 'lucky' enough to be selected to product test the 'Genius' which at full price was nearly £300 when it first launched, I think they are generally on offer for half that most of the time, I can't use it, the noise of it sounds like a dental drill - I just cant get used to it at all, it sits there reproaching me and I feel so bad to have this fancy, expensive brush but it terrifies me! So I am going to get the basic one again, who needs an app for their toothbrush anyway?
  • Toothsmith
    edited 21 July 2017 at 9:20PM
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »

I would say one like that is a bit too low end.

One like this

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4431723

If you hunt around and find it half price, would only be a few quid more - but a far superior brush.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I must confess I use a manual toothbrush still. I have bookmarked toothsmith's recommendation in case I change my mind and decide to go a bit more hi-tec.
  • jonlove
    Options
    The Oral-B Pro 2000 is a great brush.

It has a 2 minute timer and 30 second pacer to help ensure you brush your teeth evenly for the 2 minute cycle.

It has a 7 day battery life and a pressure sensor too that lights up red if you are brushing too hard. It comes with 2 cleaning modes, but most stick to just 1, the Daily Clean mode.

It is slightly more powerful than the Vitality and Pro 600 models which are cheaper.

The next model up is the 3000 that falls within the price range (or thereabouts) that Toothsmith suggests. This offers an extra cleaning mode, brush head and brush head holder.

However, there is now the Pro 3 3000, which is the very latest model. The big difference here is that it offers 2 weeks battery life rather than just 1 day. The box contents changes slightly to do away with the rush head holder but instead include a travel case.

You can get it on Amazon.

I understand the 2000 will also be upgraded soon to offer a better battery life, but not sure exactly when that will be on sale.

Sonicare tend to be great brushes too, but you often have to pay more for an equivalent to Oral-B, so from a value stand point Oral-B is better.

The replacement brush heads can be expensive, buy in bulk to save or look at some of the more reputable third party heads that do the same job but for less money.
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    I don't actually like Sonicare brushes that much. The 'ultrasonic' cleaning action doesn't come out well in clinical tests. Certainly not as good as the Oral B action. They are more expensive, and replacing the heads is a lot more expensive.

I would never tell anyone to throw one in the bin if they have it - but I do suggest they switch to the Oral B when it comes to the end of it's life.
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure