Victim of tax credit fraud! What can i do?

Options
HI.

I like so many others have become a victim of tax credit fraud, i received a bill from H.M.R.C a couple of months ago requesting overpayment of over £1200.
I immediately phoned the number on the letter to find out what was going on as i had never in my life claimed single persons working tax credit`s

After being re-directed a few times at some cost on my phone bill, i was informed that "yes you had a post office account at J.P Morgan case London. where tax credits where paid in every week".

I explained i had never lived in london, never claimed such an award and have never held a post office account, they seemed a bit shocked (or disappointed) and told me to fill out a dispute form they would send me.

After the phone call i sat a bit dumbstruck, I mean J.P.Morgan chase is an American investment bank HOW ON EARTH has my details ended up there, are they up to no good?

Anyhoo i received a letter a week ago, basically saying "we apologies, the claim was fraudulent, you do not owe the money back, Ta-Ta!.

What!! That`s It!!

What about my id and all the money they claimed in my name?

I`m not satisfied with the tax man slamming the door like that after the worry i felt there should be a bit more detail as to what and how this all came about and what they are doing about it.

What can i do?

Comments

• enabledebra
    enabledebra Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    Options
    You can report the fraud and find out if you need to take any steps to protect yourself from your details being used again. http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/home

I'm not sure what else you might do as HMRC have accepted they will bear the loss.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MrWiggley wrote: »
    HI.

I like so many others have become a victim of tax credit fraud, i received a bill from H.M.R.C a couple of months ago requesting overpayment of over £1200.
    I immediately phoned the number on the letter to find out what was going on as i had never in my life claimed single persons working tax credit`s

After being re-directed a few times at some cost on my phone bill, i was informed that "yes you had a post office account at J.P Morgan case London. where tax credits where paid in every week".

I explained i had never lived in london, never claimed such an award and have never held a post office account, they seemed a bit shocked (or disappointed) and told me to fill out a dispute form they would send me.

After the phone call i sat a bit dumbstruck, I mean J.P.Morgan chase is an American investment bank HOW ON EARTH has my details ended up there, are they up to no good?

Anyhoo i received a letter a week ago, basically saying "we apologies, the claim was fraudulent, you do not owe the money back, Ta-Ta!.

What!! That`s It!!

I`m not satisfied with the tax man slamming the door like that after the worry i felt there should be a bit more detail as to what and how this all came about and what they are doing about it.

What can i do?
    HMRC cannot give you any further information as to who may have used your details, or anything about the claim.

To do so could prejudice any possible criminal investigation/prosecution, should they be able to identify the individual(s) behind the fraudulent claim.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    A post office account at an American investment bank?
  • shedboy94
    shedboy94 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Options
    HI.

What!! That`s It!!

What can i do?

No offence, but what is it you are actually wanting? You been told that someone has got hold of your personal details and made a fraudulant claim for Tax Credits. It has been stopped and you don't have pay the money back. The money isn't/wasn't yours so has nothing to do with you. HMRC hold your details anyway, so they don't have anything they didn't already hold. HMRC will conduct their own investigation and prosecute if possible.
    JP Morgan handle the payment transactions for the post office - being American doesn't really have anything to do with it - Santander are Spanish after all - how many bank with them?!

In regards to how it came about - easy - someone got hold of your personal details and filled in a Tax Credit application form. How did it come about - impossible to say unless they catch whoever did it and ask them.
  • MrWiggley
    Options
    That`s what i thought.?
  • MrWiggley
    Options
    shedboy94 wrote: »
    No offence, but what is it you are actually wanting? You been told that someone has got hold of your personal details and made a fraudulant claim for Tax Credits. It has been stopped and you don't have pay the money back. The money isn't/wasn't yours so has nothing to do with you. HMRC hold your details anyway, so they don't have anything they didn't already hold. HMRC will conduct their own investigation and prosecute if possible.
    JP Morgan handle the payment transactions for the post office - being American doesn't really have anything to do with it - Santander are Spanish after all - how many bank with them?!

In regards to how it came about - easy - someone got hold of your personal details and filled in a Tax Credit application form. How did it come about - impossible to say unless they catch whoever did it and ask them. [That`s fair enough comment, it just seemed a bit strange that the tax office told me i had a residential address in London i had lived at for some years and "a post office account" at [ADDRESS] which when i goggled was the J.P.M branch.
    Maybe i`m assuming but usually when they say a post office at such an address, it is a post office on a street at a location, not the banking corporation that handles their transactions? Therefore i immediately imagined that some-one within the branch of J.P.M had or was using my i.d and misleading H.M.R.C in to thinking that address was a post office which they now would realize was a scam?]

Since this though i have received a bill for the original amount claimed by whoever? so now they want the full monies not just the overpayment? Go figure? in effect i dont owe the amount overpaid becouse i did not claim it but i somehow owe the rest of it even though i did not claim it? MAD!
  • missbunbury
    Options
    ... it just seemed a bit strange that the tax office told me i had a residential address in London i had lived at for some years and "a post office account" at [ADDRESS] which when i goggled was the J.P.M branch.
    Maybe i`m assuming but usually when they say a post office at such an address, it is a post office on a street at a location, not the banking corporation that handles their transactions? Therefore i immediately imagined that some-one within the branch of J.P.M had or was using my i.d and misleading H.M.R.C in to thinking that address was a post office which they now would realize was a scam?

No, don't worry about this, as others have said, post office accounts show up on many systems as "J.P.Morgan" it's just because they run the accounts.
    Since this though i have received a bill for the original amount claimed by whoever? so now they want the full monies not just the overpayment? Go figure? in effect i dont owe the amount overpaid becouse i did not claim it but i somehow owe the rest of it even though i did not claim it? MAD!

Now this you need to sort out, get back onto them again to make sure they are definitely aware that the whole claim is fradulent, I'd do it in writing if I were you and keep copies. Annoying I know if this is none of your making but I would be very pro-active in dealing with this. I's be keeping a close eye on all my post and probably checking my credit files too if I were you.

As to how this has happened, HMRC aren't going to give you any info about the claim and their investigation. Somebody more knowledgeable than me will be able to advise you as to whether this might be something worth reporting to the police? Certainly if there are any discrepancies on your credit report I would imagine you would want to get the law involved. Sadly, the most likely place to look for someone who would have all your personal details is probably close to home - any disgruntled exes from just before the time of the claim?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure