PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had one cat who would only sleep in the fruit basket in the middle of the kitchen table. I have photos of him draped artistically over oranges, apples and bananas.

Eventually I gave up and removed the fruit. We no longer had a basket of fruit decorating the centre of the table. Instead we had a basket of ginger cat.
    It was a talking point.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    calicocat wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

Seriously is that your cat.......

That's her, honestly.
    Just bought mine a cat bed .....so not interested in it one bit.

Same here.

A towel, T-Shirt or coat (or even a newspaper), left on the bed, and Buggalugs will sleep on it, but something purpose built for animals to lie on, not a chance.

A few years, ago, I bought her one of these, but even in the middle of winter, she wouldn't use it.
    canac_cat_radiator_bed.jpg
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BB

I bought one of these for my dd's cat as she would sleep on the sill above a radiator which did not look comfy but she would have nothing to do with it. The only time she used it was when it was placed on top of a bed and then she curled up happily.

When DD and her husband stayed over and the cat was with them my dd said the cat would sleep inside a bed but only a made bed. I thought she was joking as the cat ignored the bed I was about to make up, went to another bedroom and stayed there. A while later I went to flap and straighten the duvet and found a very indignant cat
    who gave me such a dirty look. :eek:
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Thinking from a cats pov:rotfl: - and I can see the attraction of being right next to a nice warm radiator - but I would feel very "uncertain" about having to leap up from the floor to get into it in the first place and not too happy about having to get back out of it again either. Those things look a bit precarious to me.

Now if some nice kind human put a chair there right beside it that I could leap onto and then get over into it from the chair and then the same in reverse I might deign to let my human get me to use it:rotfl:

This from watching a friend of mine put out a saucer of milk on a windowsill for their cat to drink from and the cat sat there looking up at it longingly. Cue for my friend to haul over a dining chair for the cat to first leap onto that and then leap onto the windowsill. The cat promptly did so at that point and got her milk to drink.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Cats are like little bolshy people. Ours wouldn't touch his water bowl but would drink from any puddle . The veg rack bed we rather naively made him when a kitten was soon nabbed by DD as her dolls cradle as puss never used it,preferring to sit slap bang in the middle of the dogs bed . Woof was far too scared of him to make him get out again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Now if some nice kind human put a chair there right beside it that I could leap onto and then get over into it from the chair and then the same in reverse I might deign to let my human get me to use it :rotfl:

The radiator where I put the bed, is only about 20" from the bed she sleeps on, and from which she jumps up onto the window ledge, so jumping into the cat bed wouldn't be difficult.
  • missusP
    missusP Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find my cat also likes it if I switch the cushion in the cat igloo for my blanket (she thinks this blanket is hers). My cat has gotten to the point in life where she wants to drink warm water or drink it from the bathroom tap which I have been refusing to do for 2 years.

Prepping for a cat is also a pain as she switches which dry cat food she eats at a moments notice. I have a stash of wet pouches but I have to hope that if it was ever needed, she will just be hungry enough to eat whatever is provided.

Seeing as I'm here with likeminded people, I have two questions for you all. I have a camping gas cooker but am wondering if this is the best choice. After the earthquake in Mexico, the gas pipes were suspected to have leaked so a gas cooker would be pointless in a situation like that.(The building I'm in doesn't have gas so in a power cut its all ok but of course I like to think of the just in case scenario....) What do most of you have as a back up source of heat?

Also if any of you have 'go bags', what sort of ready to eat food have you packed? I'm veggie so I have crackers, peanut butter, coconut oil, Both in sachets, biscuits, some little tins of sweetcorn... Just looking for some inspiration as I'll need to rotate everything soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How would you cat owners feed your cats in a prolonged emergency situation after the cat food ran out? Would the average cat these days fare better by catching mice, birds etc. than the average dog under those conditions? I know dogs are omnivores and 'could' exist on human leftovers etc. perfectly well but cats being 'carnivores' have to have meat don't they?
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 October 2017 at 3:23PM
    Options
    missusP wrote: »
    Seeing as I'm here with likeminded people, I have two questions for you all. I have a camping gas cooker but am wondering if this is the best choice. After the earthquake in Mexico, the gas pipes were suspected to have leaked so a gas cooker would be pointless in a situation like that.(The building I'm in doesn't have gas so in a power cut its all ok but of course I like to think of the just in case scenario....) What do most of you have as a back up source of heat?

May I check why a camping gas cooker would be useless if/when the gas pipes were damaged? I ask because I'm assuming - if there were a gas leak - you would vacate the premises and take the gas cooker with you and - another assumption - camping cookers have their own portable fuel source - cans or bottles, not connected to the main gas lines.

Purely for heat - bugging in I have a kelly kettle, 300 tea lights, winter weight feather and wool duvets, and multiple hot water bottles.

Bugging out - the kelly kettle, a dozen pairs of chemical heat packs (roughly 200 hours of heat that's adequate in a pocket or in a sleeping bag), a mummy style sleeping bag that's big enough for me fully dressed, and a firekit with flint and steel.
    Also if any of you have 'go bags', what sort of ready to eat food have you packed? I'm veggie so I have crackers, peanut butter, coconut oil, Both in sachets, biscuits, some little tins of sweetcorn... Just looking for some inspiration as I'll need to rotate everything soon.
    Non-Vegi - Jerky/fruit leather, canned cheese, instant mash, instant custard, a couple of 'mugshots', oat biscuits, shortbread, a pack of tablet, mint imperials, powdered milk, tea, coffee, sugar

Amounts are based around me having enough for 24 hours if I can't heat water and around 72 hours if I can.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    How would you cat owners feed your cats in a prolonged emergency situation after the cat food ran out? Would the average cat these days fare better by catching mice, birds etc. than the average dog under those conditions? I know dogs are omnivores and 'could' exist on human leftovers etc. perfectly well but cats being 'carnivores' have to have meat don't they?

To be honest mine could well simply die. She won’t eat most human food, she has never caught a thing to eat in her life , couldn’t catch a butterfly the other day ( not that I wanted her to, but I wasn’t worried for it in the slightest).

Getting her to eat anything now is a feat in itself......so I fear she would waste away. I have tubes of vitamin supplements that I hide in liquid treats...but as you say, when all that ran out, I wouldn’t hold out much hope for her.

You never no though, being really hungry may mean she would start eating other things.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure