PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So far this month I have resisted the food shops ,mainly because I have been out in the past week for 5 out of seven nights so only cooked two main meals this week.
    I am out tomorrow night and Tuesday so will probably do my first shop of the month on Wednesday so I am more than hapy with that. Most of that will be fresh fruit and veg with a few odds and ends that I am running short of , but still have plenty in the freezer to keep me going at the moment
  • TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2018 at 8:05AM
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    It really is worth trying own brand soft drinks Years ago they were vile , cheap and nasty. Then Virgin cola upped the stakes. Supermarkets had to up the ante and some of them are really passable nowadays

I quite like the Tesco lemon and lime. For 50p it’s not too awful

I have tried the Tesco lemon and lime but for an extra 50p I'm going to stick with my usual 7 up light....it's not going to break the bank as a 2ltr bottle lasts me about 2 weeks :rotfl:
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Hi all, just been reading through the chat, well done TM6. It feels great to keep within budget doesn't it.
    I used to keep a check on our spending especially groceries but then it fell by the wayside. Have gone back to it this year as I'd love to have some spare money to put towards a holiday.
    I'm gradually trying to reduce the amount of ready made snacks I buy for my 3 boys, so will be trying the recipe above.

Welcome Mrs Cheshire to our wonderful band of posters, encouragers and readers :hello:

Once you start making your own snacks, I'm sure the pennies will start rolling in
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 58

It couldn't be a NSD for Day 58 as we had run out of bread, eggs and fresh milk :eek::rotfl:

For my Mother's Day treat (and remember I'm a die hard shopaholic!) we went to Pool Indoor Market which has a combination of regular stall holders and car booters/table top stalls. I was very restrained in my spending but I still managed to treat myself :D I bought a few books to read along with several items to sell on ebay so the cost of what I bought for myself should be covered by the profit from ebay.

Also they have a drop in barbers and my hubby had an awesome haircut for £7 which I thought was a bargain as he had started to look like shaggy from Scooby Doo.

On the way to the market we called in at 2 Bookers but the RTCs were very thin on the ground so we spent very little and on the way home we had to call in at Lidls for the basics.

I would class Day 58 as a low spending day but very much value for money :cool:

How did everyone else's weekend go?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I had a look at my stocks and have decided that Thursday will be my food shopping day as I have enough to get me over another couple of days and I have estimated roughly that what I need should come to around £20.00 from my shopping list ,maybe les depending on whats available

TM6 you are doing very well and well done for more or less sticking to your cash and spending less and not over stocking too much My problem was I have plenty of stuff in stock and so I am now using as much as I can up before buying anymore :)
    Onwards and upwards

JackieO xxx
  • TM6
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I had a look at my stocks and have decided that Thursday will be my food shopping day as I have enough to get me over another couple of days and I have estimated roughly that what I need should come to around £20.00 from my shopping list ,maybe les depending on whats available

TM6 you are doing very well and well done for more or less sticking to your cash and spending less and not over stocking too much My problem was I have plenty of stuff in stock and so I am now using as much as I can up before buying anymore :)
    Onwards and upwards

JackieO xxx

Thanks for your support JackieO - it really does mean a lot knowing that I have encouragement x
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 59

Just £2 on sausages today which we have not had in a while and they were delicious :D

I'm also pleased to say that some of the items that we bought at various markets, table tops, charity shops etc have now got bids on them on ebay :j We have decided that we are NOT allowed to touch this money at all and that it will be kept purely for spending money in New York
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TM6 wrote: »
    Fiscal Fast Day 58

It couldn't be a NSD for Day 58 as we had run out of bread, eggs and fresh milk :eek::rotfl:

For my Mother's Day treat (and remember I'm a die hard shopaholic!) we went to Pool Indoor Market which has a combination of regular stall holders and car booters/table top stalls. I was very restrained in my spending but I still managed to treat myself :D I bought a few books to read along with several items to sell on ebay so the cost of what I bought for myself should be covered by the profit from ebay.

Also they have a drop in barbers and my hubby had an awesome haircut for £7 which I thought was a bargain as he had started to look like shaggy from Scooby Doo.

On the way to the market we called in at 2 Bookers but the RTCs were very thin on the ground so we spent very little and on the way home we had to call in at Lidls for the basics.

I would class Day 58 as a low spending day but very much value for money :cool:

How did everyone else's weekend go?

Mine went very well as apart from a card and petrol, I spent ZILCH

No grocery shopping , no nothing :)

Im going to have to go to lidl today for veg and thats it I think. I have things on my list but other then peppercorns, theres nothing urgent that we cant live without and in the great scheme of things, we can live without those as well :)

I find the best way of having NSDs, is to avoid the shops at all times, which Im more then happy to do
  • TM6
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Mine went very well as apart from a card and petrol, I spent ZILCH

No grocery shopping , no nothing :)

Im going to have to go to lidl today for veg and thats it I think. I have things on my list but other then peppercorns, theres nothing urgent that we cant live without and in the great scheme of things, we can live without those as well :)

I find the best way of having NSDs, is to avoid the shops at all times, which Im more then happy to do

There lies my problem suki1964, I'm a shopaholic and bargain hunter combined so this fast at times is extremely challenging for me :rotfl:
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TM6 wrote: »
    There lies my problem suki1964, I'm a shopaholic and bargain hunter combined so this fast at times is extremely challenging for me :rotfl:

Oh believe me, I too was that woman, my husband still is to a point

BUT

We no longer have the champagne wages so I have to make every penny count and I no longer like seeing my bank balance depleting

A pound is better in my account then in a shop keepers till in my book:rotfl:

I'm not tight , no way am I tight, I love being able to treat the grandkids, help out my stepdaughter, but I also like knowing that if something major cropped up, I had the money to cover it without getting into debt

So I keep out of the shops as much as possible because like you, I too can't resist a bargain :rotfl:

Lidls had no onions, so I had to go to Tesco and my onions cost me £16 :eek: They had sides of salmon for £7.50 and because mum isn't well and picking at food I thought sod it, Salmon En Croute at the weekend when she's out of hospital so filo pastry, spinach and creme freche got added along with some very mature cheddar that she's fond of

That sort of shopping is expensive, I'm usually strictly a mental list person and seeing as the freezers have plenty in them, I really didn't need to be buying extras
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure