Living on next to nought - is that the key?

Options

Comments

• CUL8R
    CUL8R Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    *subscribed*

I am also a veggie and love reading about your cooking. Also thought that since you are about to buy the milk I would stay around for the yoghurt. I kept thinking that you would give in, buy the milk and freeze what was left after using for yoghurt but no you had to make us all wait so you have lots of folks patiently waiting for their first taste of the famous yoghurt!

CUL8R
    CUL8R
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good evening :hello:

Wow! Piq how lovely to *see* you. Well, with an inspirational gal like you onboard, frankly, the world is our *oyster mushroom*. Good news, the gardening parental has raspberry bushes. If I can make anything resembling yoghurt rather than grey 'gloop', then I'd be delighted if you pulled up a chair at the table and partook. T'would be but small payment for a story telling session. Not quite sure which are my favourite kind - the adventures of malevolent, marauding, men's undergarments that take to the highways and byways, fritenin' goodly equine folk (laugh out loud), or the triumph of good over evil tales when karma takes a bite out of the nether regions of uppity line-managerial type folk (fist-punch and Yaaayyyssss!!!!). :) A salute to The Captain and a tummy tickle to colin from me.

CUL8R - how kind - no pressure then eh? :rotfl: In my defence (m'lud) you will note that I actually mentioned a shortage of space in my (tiny) freezer, and I did actually state that I will be buying the milk tomorrow. As a teaser, I have put my 'starter' yoghurt in the freezer, before it went beyond being useful - if that is any help. Very glad to have you along. I will be starting the yoghurt tomorrow evening, I promise.

Right, I will be back shortly with another post. Golly. What a day it has been.

Thank you for reading (and commenting) I really do appreciate it.

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    :hello: Good Evening (coz it still is)

Well, where to start?

Right, first thing is that the 'starter' for the yoghurt is in the freezer. That's not important as such, but what is important is the affect of this diary - in helping to think round things. I have put the yoghurt in little ice-cube moulds. I bought these 'years' ago - probably from Wilkins*ns or P*undland to freeze pesto or something. They were used once and.......progressed to the back of the cupboard. I rediscovered them (was sure I had donated them to a charity stall last year), and guess what, their capacity is exactly a tablespoon - each batch of yoghurt (Hugh F-W's) recipe requires 3tbsps of starter. How cool is it that I can just turn out 3 blocks and away to go?

Secondly, someone has done the right thing. The missing keys - which were the catalyst for this diary - have found their way to a police station. OK, so all the locks have already been changed, and the cash spent, but....... the right thing has been done. And no, I can't thank whoever it was, as elfinsafleydataprotecktionumanroights prevents the finder's details being known to me. *sigh*

Thirdly, the gardening parental left half an allotment on my doorstep, rather than the 'few new potatoes....' promised. I kid you not, I had potatoes ('Swift' if anyone is interested), carrots, peas, broad beans, 3 Japanese onions and a cabbage. Oh, and a slug and a spider....... but as it's all 'organic' I'm not complaining :D

So my friends, tonight's tea has been..... *lush*. Crushed pea and mint (the only thing I have growing in my *garden* as yet) frittatas, minted new potatoes with carrots and broad beans. It tasted, well, it tasted, that's the point. Everything just had such flavour. I made the frittatas (don't know what else to call them really) in exactly the same way as the avocado custards the other day, using the pressure cooker. I've sort of costed it out, and the only 'bought' things, were; 2 eggs (34p), a stick of celery (5p) and 3 cloves of garlic (10p) - so 49p, with a frittata left over (with some spuds) for at least DP's snap box tomorrow.

In fact, and I'm NOT going to make a habit of this, I promise - I just had to show you......

011_zps4ecdffa7.jpg

That is DP's plate and no, I'm not expecting to get a career in food styling anytime soon :rotfl:

Today was also a NSD.

Anyway, today I am grateful for these 3 things;

- folk who 'do the right thing' - especially when you couldn't reward them even if you wanted to.......

- folk who join in - I've said it before, you make the difference.

- family.

Well, I will be back tomorrow and yoghurt adventures will of started. And no, I am not going to photograph it :D

Thank you for reading, I greatly appreciate it.

Greying

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to ley youy know I am reading but without posting.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your dinner looks yummy :D

I am sure I speak for everyone on here when I say we would love to see further photo's especially of your Yoghurt Making Adventures :):)

Glad to hear the keys were handed in.
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Yes you are :D:p
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »

Ohh that's just how you don't post on my diary either :rotfl::rotfl:

Mrs Pilgrim your dinner looks lush and I like the way you have arranged the sexy carrot to lie on top of all the straight carrots, very art house carrot film ;)
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Hey up!

Beanielou - I hope I am conveying in my posts how much I appreciate folk reading this diary. I never thought it would get a second glance. Thank you for joining in.

Upsidedown Bear - No. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

On the basis that if it all goes..............wrong, there will be no evidence for pointing and sniggering :D:D:D Besides which, I've not got a thermometer, but I'm channelling my inner dairy maid and going to rely on the finger scalding method. I figure yoghurt has been made world-wide long before such fangly things as thermometers were invented. :)

Anyway, just to update - the lettuces have gone absolutely bonkers and I have 5 pots of teeny plants - yay! Gosh, why on earth didn't I do this ages ago??

Right, I'm away to watch Rick Stein in India.

Thank you for reading.

See y'all soon.

Edit: Piquant - I saw no such image..........................until now :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Greying

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you GP.
    I'm just not too good at knowing what to say compared to all you natural writers.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • CUL8R
    CUL8R Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I was expecting yoghurt photos. How would we taste it without photos? :tongue:
    CUL8R
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport