Tooth extraction and dry socket

Options
Hi guys

Hope you can help.

Had my upper back molar removed last Thursday. Healing been going well and I’ve been on a diet of water, soup and yogurts. Yesterday, I did a morning and nightly salt rinse. Addtionally, been on antibiotics and painkillers. No pain this morning, other than the normal dull ache.

Could see the white scars forming and all looked good but just now, while eating yogurt, part of the white scar tissue just feel away!!

Again, not in any pain but so concerned about dry socket as I am flying out to Thailand on Saturday for 9 days and gawd knows I don’t wanna be in that much pain while I am out there!

If I had dry socket, I am guessing the pain would be felt right away? But wondering if it’s Normal for some of the tissue to come away eventually?

I am on day 4 currently of the healing time and had no significant pain

Any help would be really welcomed!
Thanks
M

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    Have you rung your dentist for advice?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We're not supposed to give advice here - which is sensible as no-one here can actually see it, so really can't tell what is going on. If you have concerns- you need to see your dentist, or telephone the surgery for advice.

Generally though, at this stage, what has formed in the socket is the equivalent of a 'scab' if you'd injured some external part of your body. As it's in a wet environment, it does stay a bit jelly like, so bits of it can come away. This needn't be a bad thing.

Infected sockets do happen, 'dry' socket is a bit of an old term for them, but it is still in common use, but just because a clot is disturbed, doesn't automatically mean an infected socket in inevitable. Infected sockets happen much more in smokers than non- smokers. Taking antibiotics after the extraction has, in some studies, shown a decrease in the likelihood of an infected socket - but it's inconclusive, and by no means a certain way to avoid one.

If they do strike, they are painful, but do get better by themselves - so apart from hurting, they aren't really much cause for concern.

I would say that if one was going to strike, I'd expect a patient to be feeling a bit of pain by day 4 after extraction - but it can vary a bit.

As I said though - if you have concerns go and see the dentist again, or at least ring. There's generally not a lot that can be done to make them go away any quicker, or anything that can be done to make it a certainty one won't strike. So basically, don't smoke and carry on with the salty mouthwashes, as you've been instructed.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • aylithuk
    aylithuk Posts: 463 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks both. Have a appointment with my dentist at 4.30 today. Was just concerned when this blob of tissue just fell out over eating yogurt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure