Buying the same presents...

Options
Just after the opinion of the mums out there - I don't have any kids but have 2 nephews aged 7 and 1 and 2 nieces both aged 5 to buy for. They'll all be together when we give them their presents - although not all siblings (does that make sense?!)

Anyway, I have seen some gorgeous xmas stockings (in the 99p shop) which I wanted to buy and fill for 2 nieces. They had pink and purple - should I get one of each or will this cause agro? Also, should I buy the same things for inside? Additionally, if I do stockings for those 2 should I do a stocking for nephew aged 7 or will he be too old? I worry if he only has one thing to open he'll be upset. And what about 1 yr old - will he even understand? I don't want parents to get offended either.

ALSO...and finally... is it acceptable to buy similar gifts for relatives, e.g. to I get both SILs the same. Does it look like i've given it no thought or does it save someone feeling disappointed.
There is no such thing as a free lunch. Its only free because you've paid for it.

Noone can have everything they want and the sooner you learn that the better.

MSE Aim: To have more "thanks" than "posts"! :T

Comments

• hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I do stockings for whoever is coming! Last year it was for my partner, son, daughter, mum and da. My partner did mine. We always open them after Boxing Day Tea, gives the kids something to look forward to. I love doing them too! Doesn't have to be expensive, just unusual. I had miniature mince pies in mine, and a tiny tin of lobster, cos I've never eaten it before!
    As for the same gifts, I often buy my relatives the same, it doesn't matter at all!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• ruthyjo
    ruthyjo Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have two boys aged 10 and 9 now. They have always had exactly the same items in their stockings but different colours, flavours etc as appropriate. They've always been very happy with this arrangement. Not for reasons of competition but just because they enjoy experiencing things together, swapping, comparing etc.

My four year old daughter gets some things the same as them but for obvious reasons some totally different items. I try to ensure they have roughly the same quantity of little parcels. I'm not so fussed at getting values identical as I've never known my kids to price up their presents or begrudge each other anything.

DD is as girly as the come and would be happy with either pink or purple (as long as it was on the lilac side). She has been given the same gift as her girl cousins aged 8 and 3 by Grandma before in different girly colours and I've never known any of the three of them complain that someone else's is better.

Seven is not too old for stockings. (I hope not as I'm collecting for my even older boys.) For the one year old it depends if he is just one or nearly two. At twelve months I wouldn't bother, at twenty three I would.

I would also check you're not treading on any parental toes though. My DD gets her one stocking from Father Christmas and might be quite confued to receive another from an actual relative at that is Father Christmas' area only. This varies so much from family to family it may well not be the case for your lot but I would check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure