Advice needed please. Struggling with debt...

Options
Hello,

I have been struggling with debt for many years now and need some advice on the best ways to deal with it. The situation has been really affecting my mental health lately as I'm constantly stressed about it and worried and just feel like it's not normal compared to everyone I know as I feel like the only one struggling.

I currently have about £15000 worth of debt, £7500 of that is through a personal loan which I took out to simply consolidate debts from when I was younger and a student. I pay £180 per month for this over 3.5years still left. I also have a credit card of £5400 which is 0% balance transfer and my monthly payment is around £120 which is the minimum. I also have another separate credit card and the balance is currently sat at £1500, minimum payment about £45 per month currently. Apart from this I have my student loan which is about £80 per month and comes off my wage.

I am a homeowner l with my partner, and have the usual mortgage payments, household bills which we split 50/50 and i have personal bills such as mobile phone bill, car etc.

Altogether, my outgoings in bills including the loan and credit card debts are averaging about £1000 per month, and I earn approx £1600-£1700 each month, I have a steady full time job. Any remaining income I have is spent on food shopping, petrol etc and miscellaneous.

Im just finding it very difficult paying over £300 each month in loans and credit cards. I know in 3 tears time my loan would be finished and my credit card hopefully massively reduced by then, it just feels like such a long time away and each month I feel like I'm always struggling.

I just wish there was a way to reduce how much I pay out each month in debt as because it's so high I find I'm needing to use a credit card more to buy things I can't afford in the month which is a viscous cycle I know. I find I'm waking up thinking about it everyday day and I've even put on hold starting a family as I know right now we couldn't afford it. I just feel like life is on hold and 3 years seems so far away.

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 19 November 2018 at 2:11PM
    Options
    Firstly, you are not alone. This forum is full of folk in similar and, very often, much worse situations than you. You didn't get into this debt overnight and you're not going to solve it overnight either. As you have found out, consolidating debt doesn't work.

You need to know exactly how much you spend. Then you need to stop the unnecessary spending, cut up the credit card that you keep using and learn to live within a budget.

Do an SOA (statement of affairs) - http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php and post it here so we can have a realistic picture of what you spend. And be completely honest.

Start a spending diary, either a notepad or get an app for your phone. You probably be shocked at how much you actually spend compared to what you think you do! It will make you stop and think before every single purchase!! Establish the difference between wants and needs.

Best wishes :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Chandelier.
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome to the boards. The road to debt freedom can be long and tedious, but the end is in sight for you.

What interest rate is the loan? Any chance you can overpay this as and when circumstances allow?

Just think in a few years time, once all is paid you'll have that money all for yourself should you not rack up any further debt.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Complete a realistic SOA and work out what you can afford to throw at it each month whilst still having some small luxuries for yourself.

It sounds manageable at the moment, so keep doing what you're doing. Plan, plan and plan some more. Set yourself a goal or target to reach and work towards it. Imagine what you could put the money towards, once you've paid off your debt.

Start a DFW diary and try to keep yourself on track where possible.

Some people find paying off smaller balances more beneficial, psychologically. Once one is paid down, you then focus on the others and snowball each debt.

There is a lot of great support on these boards.

Good luck!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • Unicorn_cottage
    Options
    It sounds from your details that if you put your mind to it and with a few sacrifices you could clear your debt a lot earlier. How you spoken to your partner about your situation? Do they have debts too?
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • fayeb04
    Options
    Sorry what is a DFW diary?

My partner has no debt, just his side of our home bills and his own personal bills like phone car etc. I would never ask him to help out as my debt is my own and I had it before I met him. Plus I do earn more than he does so after my debt each month our wage come out pretty much the same really.

I just didn't know whether to consolidate all of my debt to one big loan, but take it over like 6-7 years just so my payments are lower each month, then maybe after a few years when my wage has increased (I have annual increments) I could shorten the term? I don't really want a longer term of debt though, but I'm just trying to find a way of coping at the moment.

Thank you,
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    When you consolidated your last debts, how did that work out? You ended up in the same situation again.

When you consolidate this time, what do you think is going to happen?

You need to break the cycle and learn to budget. Swallow your pride and speak to your partner.

There's a sub-forum called Debt Free Diaries, where there's thousands of threads with people in all sorts of situations who are working their way through it.

Myself included :)

Best wishes.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Vikipollard
    Options
    fayeb04 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been struggling with debt for many years now and need some advice on the best ways to deal with it. The situation has been really affecting my mental health lately as I'm constantly stressed about it and worried and just feel like it's not normal compared to everyone I know as I feel like the only one struggling.

I currently have about £15000 worth of debt, £7500 of that is through a personal loan which I took out to simply consolidate debts from when I was younger and a student.

Im just finding it very difficult paying over £300 each month in loans and credit cards. I know in 3 tears time my loan would be finished and my credit card hopefully massively reduced by then, it just feels like such a long time away and each month I feel like I'm always struggling.

I just wish there was a way to reduce how much I pay out each month in debt as because it's so high I find I'm needing to use a credit card more to buy things I can't afford in the month which is a viscous cycle I know. I find I'm waking up thinking about it everyday day and I've even put on hold starting a family as I know right now we couldn't afford it. I just feel like life is on hold and 3 years seems so far away.
    fayeb04 wrote: »
    Sorry what is a DFW diary?

I just didn't know whether to consolidate all of my debt to one big loan, but take it over like 6-7 years just so my payments are lower each month, then maybe after a few years when my wage has increased (I have annual increments) I could shorten the term? I don't really want a longer term of debt though, but I'm just trying to find a way of coping at the moment.

Thank you,

Not going to sugar coat this. Look at the bits in red. You consolidated once, and did what most of us did and racked up more debt. Why would it be any different this time? Except the debt would be even bigger.

You also state that three years of your life being "on hold" whilst paying off your loan is getting you down. So why the hell would you want to extend that term to six or seven years?

Complete the Statement of affairs for you both, including OH's wages, and let the good people on here see where economies can be made to enable you to pay off your current debt more quickly.
    LBM July 2006. Debt free 01 Sept 12 .. :T
    Finally joined Slimming World: weight loss 33lbs...target achieved 51wks later 06.05.13 & still there :j
    Aim to be mortgage free in 2022. Jan 17 33250 Nov 17 27066 Mar 18 24498 Sep 18 20608 Nov 18 19250 Jan 19 17980 Mar 19 16455 May 19 15024 Nov 19 10488 Feb 20 8150 May 20 5783 Aug 20. 3305 Nov 20 859 Mortgage free, 02.12.2020
  • Unicorn_cottage
    Options
    You say you are putting having children on hold...I assume you have spoken to your partner about wanting to have children? Do they know you are delaying having children because of the debt? Please fill in the SOA...I think you can clear this debt quicker than you imagine with a bit of cost cutting like Viki says above :)
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • Unicorn_cottage
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure