Job duties different to job description - Should I leave during probation period?

Options
2»

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I used to manage a second line IT support team and this seems a similar role. As a guess you are not technical so you are basically managing the production incidents between first line support and the technical team that can actually resolve these incidents.

This is still an IT role and I would say could be classed as a production support analyst. Personally I think this is a better job than telling people to restart their PC!
  • rovers1993
    Options
    Thanks for the reply JReacher1.

In my old role on 1st Line support we would do more than tell users to restart their machines, as we would mostly remotely connect to their machines to investigate issues. Although I have seen that 1st line support jobs tend to vary greatly in terms of technical level. For instance one of the service desks at my old job would only do password resets, whereas others were expected to do much more than this.

I do understand that this current role is likely better than telling people to restart their PC, but in my old role I enjoyed being able to remotely connect to customers machines and diagnose their issues and look into the underlying cause rather than just telling them to restart (even thought it does work sometimes) :rotfl:

My technical ability was something that was highlighted during the interview, as being good, which further led me to believe that this role would involve me investigating issues rather than passing on the issues directly to developers.

I would have been happier to persevere, if it wasn't for the issues with my manager I would have tried to give it a lot more time, but as it stands the relationship between us seems to be degrading everyday.

Thank you for the reply, and information :)
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    rovers1993 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply JReacher1.

In my old role on 1st Line support we would do more than tell users to restart their machines, as we would mostly remotely connect to their machines to investigate issues. Although I have seen that 1st line support jobs tend to vary greatly in terms of technical level. For instance one of the service desks at my old job would only do password resets, whereas others were expected to do much more than this.

I do understand that this current role is likely better than telling people to restart their PC, but in my old role I enjoyed being able to remotely connect to customers machines and diagnose their issues and look into the underlying cause rather than just telling them to restart (even thought it does work sometimes) :rotfl:

My technical ability was something that was highlighted during the interview, as being good, which further led me to believe that this role would involve me investigating issues rather than passing on the issues directly to developers.

I would have been happier to persevere, if it wasn't for the issues with my manager I would have tried to give it a lot more time, but as it stands the relationship between us seems to be degrading everyday.

Thank you for the reply, and information :)

You might like the role of contacting customers and helping them but it will limit your future career. More senior roles will not be customer facing and if you want to stay in a customer facing role you will ultimately find you reach a peak in your career and can go no further.

Sounds like your manager is a bit of a bully so if the relationship has broken down it will probably be a good idea to move on to a new career
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As a side note rovers1993 - you come across as a great human being.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    rovers1993 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I am aware that IT support roles also include paperwork. I also had to do this in my old positon such as technical documentation and some reporting. My issue is that all the excel stuff I was expected to do was done by the Finance team before, so it appears they may have shifted responsibility onto me.

I was able to complete these tasks, but one of my major issues is the manager will complain about every little detail, such as their is a bit of whitespace there, remove it.

I understand that processes are in place for how things should be done but the issue appears that everytime my manager receives a notification that I have completed a ticket or report/document, he will instantly complain about every aspect of it. Mostly because it is not done the way he would do it (even though I have followed his template he provided).

I think it comes down to as each day goes on the more negatively and criticism just keeps grinding me down more and more mentally.

Also can't even go on lunch without being expected to do tasks on my lunch hour.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Throw this back at them.

If you are following process/guidelines/templates etc. and they are now wrong point that out and ask when they will be updated to the new standards expected.

Sometimes you have to exercise your breaks by leaving the building and being uncontactable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure