Overtime for travel..

Options
I will try to keep this as brief and to the point as possible.

I work for a company where a situation has arose where they need someone to cover in another part of the country; it isn't part of my job but due to the skills needed and effectively responsibilities outside of work, I am going to to be the person to cover.

Cover isn't just down the road, its at the opposite end of the country and in my honest opinion the cover is of the result of mis-management. I have worked at other sites in the past out of unusual circumstances, never charged for my time during travel (they pay for all flights/hotels etc) but I see this as an issue they have effectively manufactured. Many of us knew certain decisions would cause problems.

Has anyone requested overtime for working/travelling away from your work place? I will be travelling on Bank Holiday (we do not work bank holidays), staying away from home (when it isn't part of my job) and the commuting/flights etc.

Intrigued to find out opinions on this. My fear is if I do it out of 'good will', it will always happen as opposed to papering over the cracks top brass has made on purpose. While I also feel the good will works one way anyway.

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, you won't do it out of goodwill - you'll do it because your contract tells you to. Suggest you read it - you'll probably find that there's a clause saying that you'll be required to work where and when directed. Similarly expenses and time off in lieu will be primarily dealt with by your company's expenses and absence policies, if not also in your contract.

In terms of this being a foreseeable outcome, well, hindsight is always 20/20 and there are no shortage of armchair experts who reckon they could do a better job than management. The company will be aware, not least as they're forking out for the flights and hotels you mention.

One would hope that as well as general goodwill, your flexibility would be noted/rewarded come appraisal/bonus time - I would certainly be mentioning it if I were you. You might also explore perhaps finishing (say) early on a Friday every now and again, given you had to travel over the weekend and assuming there's nothing pressing to do that afternoon - most reasonable bosses shouldn't have an issue.

However, make too much of an issue about it and you might find that the company decides they need someone with more flexibility and the same skills as you, and as a result, doesn't require your services any longer. Your call.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A friend of mine was in this position. He negotiated that the travel was part of the first day...so the Monday morning he gets up and travels to work at normal time, takes just under five hours and that's part of his working day - so say 1pm until 5pm is his first day. Same but backwards on Friday.

I would never use my bank holiday personally, I'd be traveling on the work day - can't make you anyway.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely don't do it for free - negotiation is key. When I have to travel for work, I get lieu days for the travel time and overtime (overnight stay). I arranged it this way as I always have stuff to do with extra time off but don't necessarily have things to buy with a little extra money. I get a lieu day for each travel day + one for each overnight.

I don'y get bank holidays, but as you normally do I'd expect extra payment/lieu for sacrificing it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure