PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What was day to day food in your childhood?

Options

Comments

• 5RadisH2
    5RadisH2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 December 2017 at 11:09PM
    Options
    My breakfast was either dripping or golden syrup sandwiches. I went home from school at dinnertime to a hot meal of mashed potatoes, leg beef and cabbage or cauliflower. 50's food was poor quality and food rationing was still in force after WW2 until, I think, 1953.
    School meals were even worse. Potatoes , cheese pie and dark green cabbage followed by spotted !!!! pudding and lumpy custard. It was supposed to be a balanced meal but tasted awful. The best part of school meals was that, one day a week, we had semolina pudding with jam - you could stir the jam in to make a pink pudding.
    Tea was dripping, jam or treacle sandwiches, whichever I didn't have for breakfast.
  • I can’t remember my childhood, I was starving and had rickets!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    5RadisH2 wrote: »
    My breakfast was either dripping or golden syrup sandwiches. I went home from school at dinnertime to a hot meal of mashed potatoes, leg beef and cabbage or cauliflower. 50's food was poor quality and food rationing was still in force after WW2 until, I think, 1953.
    School meals were even worse. Potatoes , cheese pie and dark green cabbage followed by spotted !!!! pudding and lumpy custard. It was supposed to be a balanced meal but tasted awful. The best part of school meals was that, one day a week, we had semolina pudding with jam - you could stir the jam in to make a pink pudding.
    Tea was dripping, jam or treacle sandwiches, whichever I didn't have for breakfast.

I loved potatoes (mashed) and cheese pie at school but we used to have it with tinned plum tomatoes.

Were school meals in those days really supposed to be 'balanced'?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A memory just popped in .....did anyone else's mum start stews off with an Oxtail Soup cube (I think it was FOSTER LEN's OXTAIL SOUP CUBES) to make up for the small amount of stewing shin of beef that went into them? I've tried to recreate the flavour with modern soup mixes but it's nothing like as savoury as I remember it!
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A memory just popped in .....did anyone else's mum start stews off with an Oxtail Soup cube (I think it was FOSTER LEN's OXTAIL SOUP CUBES) to make up for the small amount of stewing shin of beef that went into them? I've tried to recreate the flavour with modern soup mixes but it's nothing like as savoury as I remember it!
    I remember my mum adding a packet of Knorr vegetable soup mix to give her own soups 'a bit of body' The only stock cubes I remember in our house were Oxo beef cubes which we often had as a hot drink, accompanied with a slice of dry bread to dip in, for supper.
    I recently purchased Heinz Oxtail powdered soup from a market stall. Maybe it's intended for export? I haven't seen it in supermarkets. It was lovely added to a beef stew... :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tin meat with sauce...

Luncheon meat and tomato sauce sandwiches. On a Saturday we would have that tinned plastic ham.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think my mum must have used something like that but I can't remember what they were called, she did somewtimes use a couple of tsps of the powdered soup you used to get in small boxes (about the size of a matchbox. I find an oxtail cupasoup does the trick:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's the one CARONC, small box of powdered soup and it was gorgeous as the gravy sauce to the stew!
  • Bigjenny
    Bigjenny Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Think they were called Foster Clark's Soup Cubes.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 December 2017 at 2:35PM
    Options
    We would get our warm meal at school and my parents at the local factory's canteen. Dinner would often be bread, pickled fish, cheese and cold cuts as we had one warm meal already. Saturday would be roast chicken night (half a broiler each, nothing else :) and Sunday anything from my mum's well stocked freezer of batch cooked meals (various stews, stuffed cabbage, HM beef olives, goulash). Lunch on weekend would often be any kind of soup.

(70/80 eastern Germany)
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure