Daring to be financially free

Options
Hello everyone,

After lurking in the background I have finally plucked up the courage to start a thread again. I had a diary a couple of years back but never seemed to have time to update it. I’m truly inspired by the diaries on here and want to be part of this supportive community.

A bit of background about me...I’m 30 and am married to my wonderful OH, 31. I’m blessed to be a SAHM to our 4 precious DS’s aged 6, 5, 4 years and 13 months old.

We moved to our current home in 2013, with a mortgage of 87,000 and using the H2B loan scheme. If we were to pay off the H2B loan based on what our house is worth now, it’s roughy £45,000. We currently have £10,774. 69 towards the £45,000 Our mortgage stands at £72,812.65 as of today. We can remortgage in the next few months but due to our income restraints we will have to stick with our current lender. I dream of being MF and paying the H2B loan back by the time I turn 35 in 5 years time.

Over the last few months we have faced uphill struggles, I had a health scare, then had pre-planned surgery which unfortunately didn’t go quite as straightforward as planned and to make life even more interesting at the same time as the other two things my OH was given his redundancy notice at his work. Luckily he was redeployed within his company, but as a result he had to take an hours cut and pay decrease.

OH is the sole earner in our household. I have thought about returning to work, but unfortunately the cost of childcare and having 4 children with additional needs/ medical conditions that require hospital/ health professional appointments frequently means at the moment there is no financial gain for me to return to work.

Sorry for the life story :o Our financial situation is not a pretty picture at the moment, mainly because our child and working tax credits have been cut by £400 in the last couple of months. We are doing alright but we are starting to feel the pinch. However I want to stop moping around and continue with our MF and H2B free journey. In our budget we can’t afford holidays, or to buy a couple new items of furniture we need- but this isn’t going to stop me trying to make these things happen:j

I earn extra pennies by doing surveys, selling items we no longer need on FB/ebay, use cashback websites, use cashback grocery apps on my phone. I have a few short term targets that I would like to set in a separate post to keep me motivated.

I hope you can cheer me on from the sidelines as I embark on journey to being MF and more financially free. Any help, suggestions or ideas are welcomed.:D
Savings for H2B Loan Annual £10, 774.65/£40,000Emergency Fund: £0/£1000 Car Maintenance Fund £0/£900
Mortgage:October. 2013: £87,264 Sept ‘19 £72,812.65

Comments

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Hello and welcome Lorriedriver. This is a very good place to be if you want to focus on your finances and you will pick up lots of hints, tips and support from the lovely people on here x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,544 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Keep posting!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Good luck with your journey!
    :beer:
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • lorriedriver1988
    Options
    Thank you for making me so welcome.

We have had a lovely weekend. DS1 went to stay with nanny on Friday night. DH and I took our other 3 DS’s to the kiddies screening at the cinema to see the live action Aladdin. £11.80 spent on 4 tickets. We took our own snacks and drinks. We then walked into the city centre to collect DS2 new glasses from the opticians. I went into a bargain shop and bought 3x 20 pack of superhero themed napkins and 3x 12 pack of superhero themed paper cups for £4.14 or 69p an item, they will be used at both DS1 & DS2 superhero themed birthday parties. The money came from the birthday/Xmas fund. Today we went to MILS for lunch and took the boys to the park.

MSE actions over the weekend

1. Completed all surveys available
    2. Item collected that sold on FB, £2 in money pot
    3. 4 more items found to sell, 2 so far listed on FB
    3a. Something listed yesterday hoping to be collected tomorrow evening.
    4. Cashed out £5 from l**epoints
    5. Snacks and drinks taken to cinema.
    6. Eight loads of washing dried on heated airier and outside line over the weekend.

Have a good Monday everyone. X
    Savings for H2B Loan Annual £10, 774.65/£40,000Emergency Fund: £0/£1000 Car Maintenance Fund £0/£900
  • LeighofMar
    Options
    Welcome. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but you're very organized and focused. That's terrific. We will be cheering you from the sidelines, for sure.
    Mortgage start date Dec 2015 - $64,655.00
    Mortgage end date Dec 2045 - NOT!!!!
    Mortgage balance  - $4600.00
    Business Savings $43,310/100k
    Hope to be mortgage-free by end of 2023 
  • lorriedriver1988
    Options
    LeighofMar wrote: »
    Welcome. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but you're very organized and focused. That's terrific. We will be cheering you from the sidelines, for sure.

Thank you LeighofMar. I try to be organised, sometimes in my house/life it’s more like organised chaos :o. Do you have a MF diary.

Evening everyone,

Well today seems to have been non-stop. Three loads of washing done this morning, before meeting my brother for a coffee at c**ta. I then had to go and pick up DS1 who had a lunchtime dentist appointment and DS3 who is currently part time still after starting school. Took DS1 back to school ready for afternoon session, then me and DS’s 3&4 went to Mr T to have a snack and drink in the cafe and do some food shopping. And then back to the school for afternoon pick up of DS1 & 2. Although I’m completely knackered from being so busy, I managed to clock up 7 miles of walking everywhere, hoping this means I might actually lose some weight.

I have also done some sums and worked out that to get under £70,000 before the end of the year we need to overpay £2,121.76. So I’m going to set this as my probably completely impossible but I’m going to try, with all my might overpayment target. I do have to warn you all I’m completely bonkers :rotfl:

Additionally I need to ensure I have £160 saved by 20th October for DS1 7th birthday party on the 27th October and an additional £60 to help fund DS2 6th birthday at the end of November. With all this talk of money I think I’ll list my MSE moments for today :)

1) Tried to complete all surveys available.
    2) another FB item collected for £3
    3) Two more items listed for sale on FB
    4) Managed to pick up 5 packs of 8 party invitations for 17p each, plus the 5 for the price of 4 offer was still working, so 40 party invitations for 68p. Have been put away for next year. I already purchased some reduced superhero birthday invitations for both parties a couple of months ago.
    4a) Also bought an 18 pack of lollipops for 90p in Mr T, I think they are on offer ready for Halloween. The lollipops will be used in party bags for DS1 birthday party.
    5) Bought a pink bath mat for £2 reduced from £6, saved a further 10% because of DH discount, so only cost £1.80. I decorated our downstairs bathroom a couple of months ago, so have been buying matching accessories as and when I see them reduced, it total I think I have spent £35 on the paint and new bathroom accessories.
    6) Used c**ta points to pay for coffee, £1.75 spent on toasted tea cake. Rather than the original £5 total for hot drink and toasted tea cake.
    7) Saved 25% with DH discount on snack and drink for me and DS3 in Mr T cafe.
    8) Two loads of washing put on heated airier to dry, third wash had to go in tumble drier because of the rain.

Have a good Tuesday everyone.
  • LeighofMar
    Options
    Whew! Just reading that made me tired. We only had one child and he's grown and flown the nest now, so it amazes me how parents get things done today. But good on you for getting it all accomplished.
    Thank you LeighofMar. I try to be organised, sometimes in my house/life it’s more like organised chaos :o. Do you have a MF diary.?"

Yes, the title of my diary is Cottage Countdown. I usually post every Thursday and you'll find me rambling on about numbers often. I have to admit I'm obsessed :D but I guess there are worse obsessions:p. Ready for the weekend to begin.
    Mortgage start date Dec 2015 - $64,655.00
    Mortgage end date Dec 2045 - NOT!!!!
    Mortgage balance  - $4600.00
    Business Savings $43,310/100k
    Hope to be mortgage-free by end of 2023 
  • lorriedriver1988
    lorriedriver1988 Posts: 220 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2019 at 10:16PM
    Options
    Evening everyone,

I was going to post yesterday but time ran away with me and it never happened. Yesterday was not quite a NSD as had to go to Mr T’s as I had to buy milk, bread and some fruit. I spent £2.51 so not too bad. I then went to see the Downton film in the evening with some family. Today I had to buy some food in Aldi, I spent just over £13 but this included a pack of writing icing for 49p, 2x bottles of vanilla essence and a box of icing in preparation for making two birthday cakes for DS1 birthday party. I realised after looking at my mortgage online that I miscalculated the amount I need to overpay by the end of the year to get under £70 k.The revised overpayment figure is £2,275.09. I have overpaid £2 today so another £2,273.09 to find by Dec 31st.

MSE things for last two days

1) Free cinema ticket as MIL had meerkat code and Cineworld vouchers to use. Took own popcorn and drink, so very MSE
    2) Saved money on bus fare as had lift to and fro from cinema
    3) Sold 4 things on FB, they have been collected and a total of £12, will divide into relevant pots
    4) Listed 3 more items on FB for sale.
    5) Cashed in £5 on SB’s
    6) Reached payout on prolific will cash out soon.
    7) 3 loads washed and dried outside on the line.
    8) Completed all surveys available.
    9) Added £9 to the party savings, so £69/£160.

I’m thinking of posting an SOA but am somewhat nervous of posting.
  • lorriedriver1988
    Options
    LeighofMar wrote: »
    Whew! Just reading that made me tired. We only had one child and he's grown and flown the nest now, so it amazes me how parents get things done today. But good on you for getting it all accomplished.
    Thank you LeighofMar. I try to be organised, sometimes in my house/life it’s more like organised chaos :o. Do you have a MF diary.?"

Yes, the title of my diary is Cottage Countdown. I usually post every Thursday and you'll find me rambling on about numbers often. I have to admit I'm obsessed :D but I guess there are worse obsessions:p. Ready for the weekend to begin.

Thanks LeighofMar, I have read your diary and your doing amazingly well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport